smokeylips

gyros with pics

Seems like hardly anyone posts their cooks any more. That used to be my favorite part of the forum!!! it was nice getting ideas and advice from people cooking on the same equipment. So I made Gyros last night. I ground 1 lb each of beef and lamb. Put a medium onion in the processor and chopped fine. Added the meat and spices and processed into a paste like consistency. I put it into a disposable loaf pan and cooked indirect at 350 for 45 min. then I took it out of the foil pan and back in she went for 45 min. I let it rest for 1 hr, sliced thin and browned a little in a cast iron skillet. When I took the meat of I put my pizza stone on and got the KK up to 500 and made the bread. The flavor and texture of the meat was pretty close to what I have eaten out. My bread needs a little help. But i thought it turned out very good :P Hope you enjoy! :smt006n68701 n68696 n68697 n68698 n68699 n68700

Re: gyros with pics

n67399 n67400

Nice cook, nice post, good pics. I'll try to get some cooks and photos up soon. Actually, now: Last week I got my 4H pig and the butcher cut the shoulders whole. They were huge! And everything was frozen down to about -274F when I picked it up!!! Well, my freezer didn't have enough room for all of it so I just threw the two massive frozen shoulders on the KK and fired it up with a lot of hickory for smoke wood. No rub at all, it wouldn't stick to the glacial surface... I let it come up to temp very slowly with the frozen shoulders in from the start, and then kept the temp about 225 the whole time, with a Stoker. It took 16 1/2 hours to get the shoulders up to 185 internal. Because they were frozen I did not put my temp probe in the meat until about the 12 hour mark. They came out as perfect as you could want. As I have said before, you can cook frozen items on the KK and they come out fine. (The best turkey I ever did was frozen when it went on the fire.) After about a 5 hour rest on the countertop, I pulled the meat, and bagged it in FoodSaver bags. This was the first time I have ever used the FoodSaver device, I like it! I only got the post-op photos, not the pre-op, but they took up almost every square inch of the main grill prior to cooking. So there is a cook report and a couple of pics. I will cure and smoke the hams and bellies later and try to get a good photo set.

post-6676-139082403962_thumb.jpg

post-6676-139082404091_thumb.jpg

I love my FoodSaver and use it for lots of stuff besides BBQ. I grow my own hops for beer making and use the FoodSaver bags to store those in the freezer.

I buy spices and rubs in bulk quantities and break them down into smaller bags and vacuum seal them. Works great and the spices stay fresher; and buying in larger (bulk) sizes is always cheaper. Here's a tip that I learned from a friend who convinced me to buy one - use the rolls of bag material (vice the pre-made bags) and make the bags bigger than you need. Then you can open them, take out what you need, then there's enough bag material to re-seal it again. You actually end up using less bag material this way.

I didn't use to frequent Costco before the FoodSaver because I was afraid that I'd end up throwing food out. Now, just bag it, tag it, and toss in the chest freezer. Cha-ching! :mrgreen:

Don't mean to come across as a TV Infomercial, but these things are worth the money.

I've had a number of them over the years and like them too though I must admit some of them are hit or miss and I've had terrible luck with the canisters in that they always develop hairline cracks no matter how careful I am with them. But the simpler models with the bags have been great and I use them almost every day. I get the bags on Ebay - just ordered 100 pint and 200 quart bags yesterday for $54.00 free shipping. I've bought them before and they are nice quality. The next step up vacuum sealers are way more expensive.

I've been away from my KK for the winter due to darkness and ice. Was looking forward to doing ribs on Sunday and posting pics since its supposed to be 50 deg but we got 6 inches of snow again last night. Pretty soon......

Those gyros look fantastic!! I love to get them from the street carts when I'm in NYC. And you're shoulders look great too, Doc. Beautiful color on them. Do they have the skin on?

look for artisan bread in 5 min's a day.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube on No-Knead Bread Recipes and 5 minutes a Day Artisan Bread.

I have made the No-Knead Bread a couple of times. It does take 18 hours for the initial rise.

I am going to try the 5-minute Artisan Bread soon.

Have fun !

I've had a number of them over the years and like them too though I must admit some of them are hit or miss and I've had terrible luck with the canisters in that they always develop hairline cracks no matter how careful I am with them. But the simpler models with the bags have been great and I use them almost every day. I get the bags on Ebay - just ordered 100 pint and 200 quart bags yesterday for $54.00 free shipping. I've bought them before and they are nice quality. The next step up vacuum sealers are way more expensive.

I've been away from my KK for the winter due to darkness and ice. Was looking forward to doing ribs on Sunday and posting pics since its supposed to be 50 deg but we got 6 inches of snow again last night. Pretty soon......

Those gyros look fantastic!! I love to get them from the street carts when I'm in NYC. And you're shoulders look great too, Doc. Beautiful color on them. Do they have the skin on?

Thanks for the weather update.......we're about to leave our record run of hot days for 3 weeks in New England. 50 degrees huh? :D