lobsterbake

Vacation - Bali it is!

Just finalized our tickets for Bali! We arrive on afternoon of April 26th. My wife travels a couple of weeks a month for work so FF miles are saved for International trips like this - funny that the miles were earned on AA and every leg we fly Cathay Pacific which I hear is an amazing airline so grateful for One World Alliance. We are so excited to meet Dennis - I have spoken to him and emailed so many times that he feels like family. What a great guy and I am very thankful to be able to take this trip. I told my wife I enjoy talking to him just like a good friend - dont laugh you guys know what I mean. I guess it is his sincerity in a non-sincere world - refreshing.

Leave Chicago on April 24th non-stop Ohare to Hong Kong

Hong Kong to Bali

Bali to Java (Suburbya)

Java to Bali

Bali to Hong Kong

Hong Kong to Ohare non-stop

Home sweet home May 5th

Update - I edited my original post. We extended our trip and consolidated our flights which will be great so we dont have to stop in Tokoyo or LA.

THANK YOU!! for all the great information you guys posted below!!

Mark :smt006

Re: Vacation - Bali it is!

Man I am jealous.

I have an idea, maybe Dennis should have a yearly contest and the winner gets a free trip for two to visit his factory, then be his guest in Bali for a week! Of course the forum admin (cough, cough) should get the first one as a trial run. :lol:

Just waiting on my ticket Dennis!!

-=J

Million was years ago... I'd be at two now but they changed the way they account for million mile perks last year.

In the scheme of things a couple million is not much - I've met people with double digit millions. Mine are all butt in seat miles, though. I don't use their credit cards or other ways to accumulate them, and since I'm always going somewhere for work, I seldom spend them. When i have down time, staying home sounds like a perfect plan!

Enjoy Bali...I went about 18 months ago and still think about the trip all the time. Beautiful island with the most amazing people! Enjoy!

Agreed, avoid Kuta all the time. We stayed on the East side in quiet town called Candiasa. Charming tiny little town with great restaurants!

You must go to Water Bom park. It's a water park with slides etc. if you pay entry with Amex you get free lunch and drink vouchers. Go early and grab a bure shelter for a few bucks well worth it but they book out early. Once you have a bure you can order food and drinks to it,

Lay back relax and watch the kids slide!

Dang, I am sooooo jealous. CD is a my favorite part of Bali and we saw almost the entire island.

Ditto on Vincents…it is absolutely fantastic! Check out the food…no it isn’t an optical illusion, those prawns are that BIG! And to boot I think that dish cost me about $8-9 US. There are some other good restaurants in town. We enjoyed (in our preferred order) Joglo, La Rouge, and Le 48.

Look for Made (ma day) Billy. Ask around...everyone knows everyone in CD. He is fantastic if you want to fish, go to white sand beach, etc…

DON’T JUDGE ME HERE. If you are really adventurous and want to see the local culture I would encourage you to go to a cock fight. You will see chickens (in beehives are fighting chickens) everywhere in Bali- it is a HUGE part of their culture. We wanted to see some local culture and had a few of the locals take us into their village. You will head into the jungle town dirt paths and enter the “real†Bali. You will get an amazing glimpse into a Balinese village The only women that will be there will be cooking around the fights. We brought our wives, no problems. Obviously there is gambling but the winner gets to take home the losers chicken to feed his family with. I am serious, if you like different I highly recommend this. Ask locals, you will not be able to find it by yourself.

Here are a few pics for you. You are in for a treat. Dang, I want to go back now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Villa in Bali- included a staff of 7 or so.

IMG_2523.jpg

Vincent’s

IMG_2506_zps4856d31f.jpg

IMG_4778_zpsb34fa932.jpg

IMG_4801_zps2e7be1d7.jpg

If you go to Ubud go here for pork!!!!!!! I saw it on Anthony Bourdain’s no reservation and went to Ubud just for it. UNREAL!!!

IMG_4972_zps7d30759b.jpg

Made Billy

IMG_2540_zps5fee3b4c.jpg

White sand beach….highly recommended. I have heard you can buy a cock to fight in the town set back from the beach…not that I know anything about that?

The fight

IMG_4769_zps64b6a0d8.jpg

Main drag through CD

IMG_2510_zpse2644000.jpg