LarryR

Rye Whiskey Recommendations

Re: Rye Whiskey Recommendations

Templeton Rye is the bomb. Old recipe from back in the Prohibition days, was a favorite of Al Capone - all he served in his speakeasies. It's a boutique, so good luck finding it, but it looks like they distribute to NV. Fortunately for me, it's bottled here in Iowa, but even then, it can be hard to get at times, especially at Christmas time.

http://www.templetonrye.com/

Delicious! Highly recommend. Had a Manhattan made with Knob Rye on Friday night and this one on Saturday night and definitely preferred the Templeton. Thanks for the recommendations!

De Nada. Just trying to promote the Home Boys!

We have another local distiller that does a very nice job - Cedar Ridge. He's just about to release his first batch of single malt whiskey. He makes a fine bourbon and dark rum, too. He also markets some of his spirits under the Clearheart label - his Clearheart gin and vodka are top shelf and half the price of the better knowns.

http://crwine.com/

Iowa, Doc.

I live in Cedar Rapids. The distillery/winery is a short distance south of me in the small community of Swisher, Iowa. It's a stone's throw off Interstate 380, between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, if you're ever up this way.

I bought an airplane in Mapleton. Stopped in Onawa to eat a "Hot Brown" or maybe it was a "Hot Beef". I loved the hospitality and friendliness of all the folks we met there. My airplane was in a tiny airfield smack in the middle of a cornfield! I loved that place.

Lane Wallace wrote all those articles in "Flying" magazine about flying around the U.S. in her Cheetah. They were more emotional and less technical. That's what got me on to the Grumman family. When I flew the Tiger, I was hooked on the fast handling. And that sliding canopy !Learning to fly, and flying the Tiger in particular , was like being born again in to a new life.

For all the non-pilots out there, if you have even a spark of curiosity about flying, go take a ride. If it is for you, it will hit you like a ton of bricks within moments of lift off. Just go out to any little airport anywhere in the country and tell the first person you see you are curious about flying and want a ride. It won't matter who that person is, if they are on a small airfield, they are part of the club and will see to it you get airborne! The world of private aviation is like a huge convivial family, and we all LOVE to get new people in the club. This is most evident when you have problem on an airfield away from home. A lot of these small airfields are often deserted. But usually there is an office that is unlocked and wide open. Or a phone bolted on to an outside wall with a number. Someone WILL come help you, even if it is 3 in the morning. It is like going back in time, to Mayberry or something. There is often an old rusty coffee can on the table where you put your 50 cents for the sodas in the crapped old fridge. Usually there is a courtesy car, a car you can just take to run in to town. In Llano, TX it's the old trashed out sherrif's car. You are expected to put a gallon of gas in it, and put the key back where you found it. And there are the modern, gleaming new facilities as well. But the people are just the same, familial.

If you are the least bit curious, go check it out...

Interesting timing on your thread doc. Here in North Las Vegas there's a small airport and one of the flight schools is offering intro flights for $100. I'll be doing mine in a couple of weeks. When I lived in Central California the community just east of me was a Skypark. My son and I would head over there on fly in days and checkout all the aircraft. Was a pretty cool little community, most of the homes had hangers, own private air strip and some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. A fairly popular musician from the 80's lived there with his wife, chatted with him about his love for flying a couple of times but never got the bug back then.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

Templeton Rye. What a lovely, lovely spirit. This is going way up in the whiskey rotation! The Dalmore Bordeaux Finnesse Scotch, Midleton Irish, Templeton Rye, and Don Julio 1942 Tequila are now my top 4 sipping spirits.