Amount of coal used

I did the following yesterday:

Filled the lumpsaver completly with coal

Heated up the grill to 350 Grad Fahrenheit

Kept the temperature on 350 for 3 hours with the head deflector on

Closed all holes to extinguish the fire

The next morning there was only a very small amount of coal left:

P1000661.jpg

I had the idea that the KK can run for more than 24 hours withour refilling the lumpsaver but the coal you can see on the picture would be sure now enough for another 21 hours. Is perhaps my KK now properly sealed when the upper and the lower hole is closed or where could the problem be?

!

Well, one thing to note; when people say they ran their grill for 24 hours they are usually using specific extruded lump charcoal made for long burns. The other thing to consider is they are doing this at 200-225 as it takes a lot more charcoal for 350. More than likely there are no problems and this is just normal. Next time make you test at 200-225 and see how long you can go - just remember with standard lump, you are probably not going to get 24 hours.

-=Jasen=-

I have loaded up to the top of the basket just under the heat deflecter bracket. Cooked overnight butts and had enough left to do chicken for 1/1/2 hrs. Butts at 225 using Guru chicken at 350 no Guru. Didnot weigh but is was not quite a 10 lb bag Royal Oak. When I do the small chuck roll, 23 lbs I will use Wicked Comp. blend and weigh.

This is good for 350

I agree that when people are saying they can cook for extended periods of time its at low temps, 200-225. Lump will burn up much faster at higher temps and its not a direct ratio, its eponential. Even the CEL is no better than regular lump at high temps (over 250). What you are experiencing is quite normal.

David - Can you still get the wicked comp blend locally? If you like it, get it now, as its not being produced currently. I think the reason was that some of the wood used can no longer be harvested.

I tried a bag of both the comp blend and weekend warrior, and truthfully couldn't tell the difference between either of them and the K branded lump. (all were given to me)

Since I am always using mesquite lump that cames in 40# bags from the foodservice produce distibutor, all of them seemed to burn for quite a while in comparison.

Re: Amount of coal used

I had the idea that the KK can run for more than 24 hours withour refilling the lumpsaver but the coal you can see on the picture would be sure now enough for another 21 hours. Is perhaps my KK now properly sealed when the upper and the lower hole is closed or where could the problem be?

this looks normal. as others have mentioned, most "overnite" cooks involve much lower temps, which corresponds to lower airflow and slower burning coals. once i get my cooker, i'll show you my prep for overnite. basically, tho, you want to fill the whole bottom (inside and outside of the lumpsaver) with lump. i usually put a whole 10# bag of charcoal in my cooker for an overnite (about 20 hrs) at about 200-250 degrees F, and typically have half left when finished.

Drunk-J' date=' when I say I ran my cooker 24 hours, I usually mean plain old lump. I don't use the extruded stuff very often. The extruded charcoal isn't the longest burning stuff I've ever tested. I think it's positive point is that fact that it probably burns more uniformly and consistently.[/quote']

Hmm, all I can buy locally is Royal Oak and I never could get that long out of it - maybe 18 hours for a full basket. But with the CEL I never had any problems. Wonder if there is room on the big ole web for a "The Drunk Whizzer" so I can get all that free charcoal - hehehehe? 8)

-=Jasen=-

350*F would burn a lot faster...

Check out my first cook before and after pics...

A full load of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump...

78813767-M.jpg

left over after a 16hour cook at 220*~230*F.

78858518-M.jpg

Main thread here...

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=302

This was a warm summer day cook... I think I could easily do 30HRs.

Start with good lump and use the minion method.