tlinder

Protecting the heat deflector

I just destroyed the upper layer of the heat deflector by cleaning the surface with a chrome cleaning pad. I did not realize, that this upper layer is so soft and now the porous lower material sticks out and this is probably too sticky to put a pizza on.

P1000663.jpg

How do you protect your heat deflector from the dripping fat coming from the meat above?

Re: Protecting the heat deflector

I just destroyed the upper layer of the heat deflector by cleaning the surface with a chrome cleaning pad. I did not realize, that this upper layer is so soft and now the porous lower material sticks out and this is probably too sticky to put a pizza on.

How do you protect your heat deflector from the dripping fat coming from the meat above?

Tinfoil is what most folks use.

-=Jasen=-

This has happened to me also, if I were you I would buy another type of pizza stone for actual pizzas and use this exclusively for a heat deflector. I have noticed that when drippings hit this deflector it causes the top surface to flake off. This surface is only there for decoration but after its gone I agree it will not be usefull as a pizza stone but still very effective as a deflector. I hate to say it but I use a BGE pizza stone for my pizzas its very nice.

Thats the same thing I do...since the K brand stones are pretty porous anyway. I get the 15" stones when they are on sale (usually around the holidays). The were only $8 each last time, so I bought a few. One for inside, one for outside, and a spare.

I just broke one 2 days ago after I baked the sourdough. I took it out to use the K for fish, and when I put it back in, the K was still too hot, so it snapped in half. I still use them as long as they will still sit together cleanly.

One idea - I have started baking on parchment paper directly on the stone. If you do this, then the pores in your stone shouldnt give you any trouble.

I get the 15" stones when they are on sale

One idea - I have started baking on parchment paper directly on the stone. If you do this, then the pores in your stone shouldnt give you any trouble.

FM what brand do you buy?

Also another trick I use for pizzas is to put corn meal on the stone first, it keeps it from sticking.

FM what brand do you buy?

I think the brand is "home accents", but the box has big yellow letters that says "gourmet" on it. They can be found in department stores or places like Bed, Bath and Beyond. They work well, and unless you do something stupid to shock them (like put it in a already preheated grill/oven) they dont break.

You can kind of see the box here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0007057867

I have never had anything stick to the stone at all. I have a peel that I definitely use flour or cornmeal on, but found parchment to be a ton easier with freeform bread. After punching down and shaping dough for the final rise, I put it on the peel. After sitting on the peel to rise, I found that getting it off the peel and onto the stone caused the dough to collapse some. But with the parchment under it, they slide right off, and I get the added benefit of being able to move them around on the stone, too.