Firemonkey

Meat slicer advice

Re: Meat slicer advice

Oh no... I though about it on and off for years! It was the wife's preemptive complaining about where to store it that always made me star thinking about other stuff instead.

I still spent a solid month searching and researching before getting this one!

I had my slicer out on the counter when a neighbor stopped by yesterday. He said he had one almost like it and that he loved it so much because it was so easy to clean!! He knew I didn't agree just by the shocked look on my face. He looked closer at it and told me to go the hardware store and buy wing nuts so I don't need to use the wrench under the carriage plate. He also told me to buy small magnets with handles to carry the heavy blade to the sink for cleaning and back to the unit. I appreciate this advice since I feel I'm much more likely to cut myself handling the blade off the unit then when it is on the unit and slicing when I am extremely careful.

The reason I had athe slicer out was to experiment with cheese steaks so I can do something fun for my husband when he gets back from fishing in Canada. I had an 18 oz rib eye steak and first tried slicing it across the grain with the steak flat on the carriage. I would make one pass thru the blade and by the time I got it back into place for another pass, the meat was all bunched up so I had to turn off the slicer, reposition the meat, and try again. After a couple of times, I knew this just wasn't gonna work. So I turned the steak upright like it was a roast and then it went beautifully. Wow - I don't need any more experimenting - it was outrageous! I can't wait to finish the steak with the second one tonight!!

Great tips, wish I could be so lucky for them to work for me. :? Guess I am just going to get a new one.

Wife has been after me to make jerky anyway. It's a freakn two day event starting with 15lbs eye round roast. We love Hi Mountain original and peppered cures and sadly my lazy self cannot find anywhere online that makes a similar tasting jerky. We like the old fashioned salty shoe leather jerky..hehe. Everyone now sells the sweet soft stuff.

I know you do your jerky in the oven with a spoon in the door. Is it a convection oven?

Conodos posts above had me considering a batch of jerky, and I even considered doing it in the oven - I think it may dry faster than the KK. It will be tough to get the airflow rolling while keeping temps down with the summer heat and sun.

Only thing is, my convect instantly shuts off as soon as the seal on the door breaks. Maybe I can find the switch and rig it to blow :) .

Does it make the while house smell like jerky? That would be fine for a few hours, but I don't want to smell like that whenever I leave the house all week.

BTW... Today I'm breaking out my slicer and making pit beef. I'll take some pictures.

Yeah, it is a convection oven. I tried one time using convection for making jerky and it cooked it instead of drying, even at the lowest setting (170 or 180 can't remember now). Like you said, can't put spoon in door and it just doesn't let enough moisture out of the oven. I don't remember there being a lot of smell from the jerky, maybe more at the beginning. But naturally the oven with the door slightly open obviously heats up house. I keep thinking about one of those really nice SS dehydrators, but they take up a lot of room and your regular oven works so damn well already using the spoon in the door method and lowest temp setting.