LarryR

Bacon Cook - VIDEO

Re: Bacon Cook - VIDEO

I agree 100% w Larry, home cured and home smoked bacon is easy as can be and so rewarding. Takes almost no effort and is scrumptious beyond belief. In fact, I am going to go fry up a piece or two right now! Same with the ham, by the way. There's plenty of internet instructions, but I used "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman.

Nice video Larry R. Looks simple enough. I was not sure how you were to eat it. Slice and eat, or slice and fry it in pan. I have never seen bacon done like this. So do you end up frying it all for a big dinner or do you parcel it out and freeze for future dinners. If freeze, how do you package it? Do you slice it all then freeze?

Thanks for another great video!

@mguerra - I used/use Charcuterie also.

@ MadMedik - Slice what I'm going to use, cut remaining into 1 lb chunks, vac seal and freeze for later use.

@bobvoeh - I used both. 1) Morton's QT and real maple syrup 2) Morton's QT and brown sugar

Bacon Cook - brine/curing recipe

Hello

I have wrote to Michael Guerra,M.D. But I don't think he is seeing my messages i sent to him so i will ask the group this hoping he see it here or someone has the answer.

I been reading about bacon and your posts on your results. Can I ask for the recipe you use to brine or cure your pork bellies and what type of wood are you using for smoke? I would love to try this as we are planning on getting a hog this fall and are considering curing our own bacon and hams esp. bacon. I just watched Larry R. Video but didn't see any specific recipe except he said he brined in maple and brown sugar sounds good but i don't know the process used. Please let me know when you have time. Thanks so much.

Marilyn Wiley

[email protected]

@heavenlyink - I used Morton's Quick Tender and then added brown sugar to one and maple syrup to the other. That's it, pretty easy. I also have the book "Charcuterie" which contains a couple of cure recipes also. Morton's QT is pretty damn easy so I went that route.

Hope that helps.

Re: Bacon Cook - VIDEO Look at my belly! Bought a 8.69 lb pork belly at a place called H-Mart, an Asian food store chain. I was struggling to find good belly for bacon. Finally I read about this place and went there. They had three different kinds of sliced/chunked pork bellies, but nothing whole. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I asked a young guy wearing a butcher's coat. His English was not good at all, so I used international sign language for pork belly which basically amounted to pointing at some chunks and then spreading my arms. He was a nice guy and went into the back and came out with this hunk. I almost cried--it was too good to be true. The local butchers and stores here laugh when I ask for belly. Now I have a source and it was $4.29 a pound! So now it's in the fridge for 7 days or so. Pink salt, Kosher salt and some brown sugar for the cure. That's it. fetch?id=67483fetch?id=67484fetch?id=67485

post-7469-139082405225_thumb.jpg

post-7469-139082405237_thumb.jpg

post-7469-139082405249_thumb.jpg

Those look great Dave!

I pulled a .8 lb vac sealed pack out for breakfast Saturday and even after deep freezing it tasted awesome. Freezes very well. Going to go down to the Asian market and pick-up more. Bye bye store bought bacon.

Is pork belly really all that good? I'm more of a thin slice bacon kind of guy so buying store bought bacon has been just fine. I can't even imagine what you are saying is even better? Next thought that comes to mind, is eating all that bacon good for you? My arteries are hardening just thinking off all that delicious pork belly. I might just have to try cooking one. That is cooking a small one. :)