mguerra

Tarpon on Fly Rod

Re: Tarpon on Fly Rod

This is an exciting catch on a fly rod...was it with short leader or long and also, did you use a drag? or the palm of your hand??? Your tarpon looks like a 150 pounder. :wink:

Love catching big fish on a fly...I go to Costa Rica fishing sailfish on Fly Rod. By the end of the day, I am so tired, can't move.

Were you in Boca or the Keys?

Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Me, off to Montreal at 4 am tomorrow for the 60th of a good friend.

My wife and I celebrated our 60 th in la Malbaie , Quebec in january this year.

10 days of skidooing,skiing, dog sledding, raquetting,cross country skiing and eating wonderfully.

That changes the Florida scenery! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Re: Tarpon on Fly Rod

Orvis Helios 12 wt. fly rod, Orvis Mirage Large Abor VI reel.

Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper 12 wt. floating fly line

Nine foot leader, 5 ft. of 40 pound Ande Fluorocarbon and 4 ft. of 60 lb. shock/bite tippet.

Black and red Black Death fly on a size 1 Gamakatsu SC 17 Tarpon hook.

15 minutes to land the fish using Stu Apte's fighting techniques. Fighting a tarpon for an hour or even more is totally unacceptable and unnecessary. You hear of people fighting them for an hour or two or even three! That is so wrong. We land the fish "green" and not exhausted, they recover in a few minutes. I hooked three and landed the one. The two I lost were equipment failures of my own fault. The first one I lost I had the backing too loose on the spool and it dug in to itself and the spool just stopped! The hook straightened and off went the poon. The second one I lost I tied a crappy fly line to backing knot and it unraveled. Off went Mr. Silver with 100 feet of fly line. Dang. I will NEVER make those two mistakes again.

I use a moderate drag and finesse it with my palm to add extra pressure when I want to.

I fish at "Location X", if you have ever seen the show :"Chasing Silver, Location X", that's the place. I will only say it is somewhere on the panhandle.

Have fun in the Great White North.