Smokydave

Forestlumps charcoal

Re: Forestlumps charcoal

Always looking for something new, better, different, is all.

Nothing wrong with Royal Oak; it's my "everyday" charcoal. I buy 6 bags at a time. For the price point, it's hard to beat, but it's not my favorite. So far, other than Dennis' coco, which I hoard for special cooks, I'm a big fan of Weekend Warrior.

If you believe that all charcoal is the same, you should check out the Naked Whiz's website and his reviews of lots of different charcoals.

I never did order from Forestlumps. I may try some of this: http://www.firecraft.com/product/rockwood-lump-charcoal-20lbs/charcoal-wood

The Whiz gave it a "highIy recommended" and one of the distributors is not too far from me (except they aren't open on weekends!!). I am waiting for some CoCo from Dennis, but in the meantime, I was pleased to see that my local HD is carrying the 18lb bags of RO for $12.97--a little less than Walmart. In the last 5 years, I have NEVER seen HD carry the Royal Oak. WM is so inconsistent with their supply of the 8lb bags, I usually pick up 4 at a time. You should see the looks I get in line when it's below freezing and I'm buying 4 bags of charcoal. So now I will stock up on some from HD so I can keep cooking all winter.

I bought two bags of Rockwood lump today at $20 apiece. I used a Weber wax cube to light it, which is normal for me. There was some pretty loud pops. Tonight I'm doing some bacon-wrapped thighs and tomorrow before I go to the Netherlands (where real BBQ doesn't exist) I'll do some ribs to get my fill. We'll see how this lump is.

As a side note, they guy where I bought it says they'll ship free anything over $99. If I like it, I may go that way.

Bringing this old thread back up.

Has anyone recently bought the Forestlump charcoal? Got an email from them which triggered my inquiry. 

My previous experience with this charcoal was not a good one. I bought several boxes when it was on sale. While the charcoal burns well, smells good, and is easy to light, as noted in the Whiz's review, I just thought that there was too much wastage in each bag. My experience was very different from Whiz, in that at least 1/3 of the bag was unusable (dust/chips) and most of the pieces were small. Very few big pieces (1 or 2 in each bag) and the rest were medium. With this much unusable pieces, it wasn't a good value in my book. However, that said, the company said at the time that they were upgrading their packaging process, hence the sale on the back inventory. So, I was looking for recent feedback before ordering from them again.