Smokydave

Forestlumps charcoal

Re: Forestlumps charcoal

I can't believe over 100 people viewed my question and nobody answered! Maybe I'll take one for the team and buy a couple bags and let you know. However, Walmart has 10lb (not the usual 8.8) bags of RO lump for $6.97 which is quite a deal. I picked up 4. I only use the RO lump anymore--no more Kingsford junk.

Has anyone tried this? The Whiz gave it "highly recommended".

http://forestlumps.com

Smokydave: I see you are from PA. Can you get this charcoal where you live? Here in NY's mid Hudson Valley, lump charcoal is not a popular product. The only brands I've ever seen in a store are Cowboy or Royal Oak. And that is ONLY during the summer. In the cold months, I have no choice but to order it. I would love to try a variety of

brands of lump but it isn't practical in this neck of the woods.

I got two boxes which is the minimum order. Two bags per box twenty pounds total. I have only opened one bag but was a little disapointed in the size of the "lumps" I would discribe them as chips. They did burn well easy to light and lasted a long time. Have yet to clean the ash yet so I can't comment on that. I bought this charcoal to stretch my CoConut charcoal and for that purpose it works well. I layered the bottom of my basket with CC,about six sticks, and filled to the half way point with Forestlumps. Did a four hour cook @250+ for baby back ribs. Then opened it up and grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. As usual with my KK seven hours later I'm stll @400+ degrees and could easily cook another meal. Never ceases to amaze me how efficient the KK is in burning charcoal. As for the Forestlump I'll give it a thumbs up but Dennis's CoConut Charcoal is the best.

I have not tried forestlumps but am trying Real Montana Lump and Carbon de Luna. Hope I spelled that one correctly. :)

The second lump charcoal I purchased from amazon. I will get back to everyone on those.

Just ordered 2 boxes of forestlump so we'll see how good it is. It's kind of fun looking for good charcoal. God only knows I found some crap out there.

Forest lumps is currently having a sale on lump charcoal. $12.50 per box. Check out their site.

Site says free shipping but was later told that was prior to the sale price I have 2 boxes just have see what's inside. Will breakout some forestlump today and grill up some drumsticks and chicken breasts.

Send me a PM with your email address and I forward you the Forestlump email with the sale information.

Rebranding clearance sale!

50% OFF!!!

Dear FORESTLUMPS CUSTOMER,

ATTENTION ALL FORESTLUMPS ENTHUSIASTS, RETAILERS and CHAMPS we are having a Rebranding clearance sale!

ALL STOCKS ON HAND "FORMER BRAND LABELING" (currently we have 30 pallets available), MUST BE SOLD IMMEDIATELY TO CLEAR THE WAY FOR NEW STOCKS WITH "NEW IMAGE BRAND LABELING".

PER bOX

------------------------------------------------------------

$12.50 PER BOX

(PREVIOUS PRICE

$23.50 PER BOX)

BUYER IS CHARGED

WITH HANDLING AND SHIPPING

PER pALLET

------------------------------------------------------------

54 BOXES = $475.00

THIS IS 8.80 PER BOX

(PREVIOUS PRICE

$23.50 PER BOX)

BUYER IS CHARGED

WITH HANDLING AND SHIPPING

Re: Forestlumps charcoal My first impression after opening the charcoal, I would say there is a noticeable amount of smaller pieces. I used a mix of medium and smaller pieces in my sear basket and temp came up quickly. I grilled some drumsticks and the lump flavor was good. KK kept 400 degrees for about 3 1/2 hours. Charcoal was easy to get started. I was happy with the flavor and was glad it did not impart a fuel taste some other charcoals do When I asked about the composition of different sizes of lump here was Forestlumps response. In few boxes out of a batch of 200 -300 there can be on average a greater portion of small pieces. We sort and try to give the Small 20%, Medium 50% and Large 30%; within that never greater than 10% CHIPS and DUST. *We are just getting our packing facility better organized and I promise that smaller pieces is definitely the lower portion in the overwhelming majority of boxes.* During my promotion I have opened hundreds of boxes and have also seen that in a batch only a few are with more small pieces. It is the anomaly that this will happen. We are trying to take our sorting to the highest level. Please let me know if it occurs more than randomly. n67501

post-7406-139082405367_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up Craig. I read on the net that there were a lot of smalls in the Forestlumps bags which is why I asked. I was interested in the clearance sale, but when shipping was added in, the net savings was only about $2 a box I think. Coupled with their response that 30% could be chips, dust and smalls and that my UPS guy seems to take perverse pleasure in firing shipments at my house from a cannon, I decided to stick with what I use now. Around the 4th, I was lucky enough to find that Wal-Mart has RO bags of lump that were a full 10lbs instead of the normal 8.8 and the price was slightly lower, about $6.59 or so. Over the course of a week I picked up something like 12 bags. I got a lot of strange looks from the other clientele as I checked out. I now have a nice stash of about 16 bags, plush one bag of Ozark Oak I am saving for who-knows-what and one single, lonely, solitary box of Co-Co that I am saving for the week the asteroid comes...

Thanks for the laugh. I do like the Forestlumps charcoal and will check a few more of my bags shortly. Mark, from Forestlumps, asked if I notice additional bags with a high quantity of chips and smalls to let him know. He thinks that is not the norm. My guess is I will see just that. Hopefully with the rebranding and new packaging they will improve upon the Quality Control and lessen the smalls, chips, and dust. 30% really sound horrible. Maybe I can have him hire me as a QC inspector and clean up that nonsense. Enjoy the RO, I hear thats some good charcoal as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forestlumps has spent over two years analyzing the reason behind SORTING and SIFTING then BOXING the world's best hardwood lump. YES, we have faults to work on, due to GORILLA WAREHOUSE THIRD PARTY LOGISTICS -- but we thought BOXING would result is much less damage. We are now bringing out the DOUBLE BOXED / BAGGED product JUST FOR YOU! So, 20% SMALLS is not as bad as you think. Smalls are needed to enable the EASY LIGHT scenario. SMALLS are needed to enable the GRAVITY FEED cookers. SMALLS have just as much energy and just as little ash as the medium and large. BUT, if anybody out there can stand behind their product, offering money back on CHIPS and FINES being less than 10%;;;then, TELL ME- MARKO/Dimitrije at FORESTLUMPS. ([email protected] / [email protected] )

I don't mind smalls, they actually help you get a more even fire if cooking direct. Really big hunks are not too useful for direct cooking, grilling. I pull those out and hold them for indirect low and slows. Chips and dust, well, who wants that? But I do sprinkle it on top of the charcoal just to get the heat energy out of it.

Broke down and ordered 4 boxes during the liquidation sale, based upon the positive feedback here and Naked Whiz's review.

Want to see how it compares to Weekend Warrior.

Agree with Doc, I use all the smalls in the chimney to light everything else and for direct grilling; set aside the large chunks for the longer cooks.

I ordered six boxes in the sale. Unfortunately the shipping company used seems to have mangled them :mad:

I have one or two boxes in decent condition but there's really not that many large chunks in them like advertised. The charcoal quality itself is great stuff though. Lights very quick and burns very clean.

I ordered six boxes in the sale. Unfortunately the shipping company used seems to have mangled them :mad:

I have one or two boxes in decent condition but there's really not that many large chunks in them like advertised. The charcoal quality itself is great stuff though. Lights very quick and burns very clean.

Send an email to the Forestlumps email address above and let them know two out of the six boxes were delivered in decent condition and that there were not many large chunks as advertised.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

While my shipment arrived in good condition, when I opened the first bag, to be honest, I was disappointed. The bag contained a very high percentage of chips and small pieces (quarter size or smaller), very few large pieces, with the rest being medium sized. It lit easily and burned OK for the short cook that I did (10 minutes at high temperature (500F). I will reserve final judgment until I do a longer low and slow cook.