Ducaticraig

Nathans Famous Hotdogs

fetch?id=68755fetch?id=68756fetch?id=68757fetch?id=68758 I'm not sure how famous these hotdogs are but they sure tasted good. While I only cooked three dogs it was nice to use the lower grate for the first time. Time to start cooking steaks off the lower grate as well. It's fun to fire up the KK for everything. Actually I fired up the KK to burn up the rest of the charcoal sitting in the basket so I can give it a good cleaning in the AM. Happy 4th of July to all.

Re: Nathans Famous Hotdogs

Robert, I scrub the grates clean after each use. Just kidding! That was the first time I used the lower grate. I've always used the main or one right below the main grate. The closer I get to the fire the more I'm starting to like grilling my steaks. Soon I may just lay the steak right on the charcoal.

I agree, the closer the better! I'm about to kook a coffee-rubbed Wagyu Tri-tip (barefoot contessa NY steak coffee rub, google it). I think I'll finally try a reverse sear. Using the basket splitter, so I'll do first up top on the main grate to about 110-115, then sear in the lower grill right on the fire.

For those reverse sear guys, how many degrees does it usually go up when you sear at te end? Just a ballpark, such as as a lot or a little? Wife is pregnant so I can't go too rare :(

Apricot salt ???

Googled that and I think it's referring to Murray River salt from Australia, which I actually do have in the cupboard. I went through a "gourmet salt" phase a few years ago and have a bunch of different ones in the cupboard.

I didn't have any Apricot Salt, so I just doubled the Kosher. We really enjoyed the rub but it was a little too spicy hot. The red pepper flakes that I've got are "medium hot", which I think is hotter than the standard ones that the recipe calls for.

I loved the reverse sear! At first I thought it was going to take forever, but after about 20 mins or so the 2lb tri-tip was 100 degrees and steadily climbing at a rate of one degree every 10-15 seconds. I pulled it at 125 at the fattest part, waited for the fire to hear up, and seared 2 mins per side with the lid down. It was med-rare-plus to medium, which is perfect since my pregnant wife needs the end cuts med-well. Otherwise I would have pulled it at 115-120 and shot for medium-rare.

An interesting note, is it just me or do steaks on the KK always look like they are a bit over-cooked when you first slice them? I thought it was med-well when I first sliced it (after it rest for 10 mins), but when served it looked a beautiful med-rare+. Maybe it's the darn enviro-conscious BS light bulbs that the city coerced us into installing in the kitchen!

PS: I don't speak Celcius, but it went up approximately 10* during the 2-min/side sear.