DennisLinkletter

More like survival training than a holiday..

More like survival training than a holiday..

After the wedding/renewing our vows we jumped in the car and drove east..

Hit Palm desert and it was 117º and 40% humidity..

Took the long road thru Needles which was 122º Hottest in 7 years..

Got into Las Vegas and it was 115º Walking the 150+ yards between the bigger hotels was challenging to say the least.

Took the road by Hoover dam to Williams for the night and then to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.. Spent the day and walked the top part of Bright Angel Trail... Argh.. Going down was easy

Then off to Page AZ and into Antelope Canyon.. It looked just like Nat Geo.. Will post photos later..

Continued up to Grand Junction and ate at Famous Dave's BBQ... I'm sure he's a great chief but the food at his place was a joke.. Bought 6oz of burnt ends for $9 that was cubed.. and had not bark! Had not even reached 190 to become stringy. My son was very proud that my Q was SOO much better..

Finally pulled into Vail and met up with a good friend.. ate great food, drank better wine and had a great time.

Finally had to drive down the hill to Denver to drop the rental car..

Was a bit surprised when my milage total came to 2166 miles.. yes I had an unlimited plan..

Flew to Orange County airport in Newport and then drove up to Montecito and finally was able to stop and rest for a few days.. Went to a family reunion in Oxnard on the way back to Laguna where I went to my 35th High school reunion..

Trying to figure out how we are going to get all the stuff we have acquired this last month back to Indo..

I'm flying out Monday night.. Been a great trip but I feel like I've been to war..

Thank you all for your patience and less than stellar communications with me recently..

I'll be available on a regular basis again soon..

;);)

Re: More like survival training than a holiday..

Trying to figure out how we are going to get all the stuff we have acquired this last month back to Indo..

Dear friends of mine spent the year on the Mediterranean, and debated this same question with me. I flew home with 44 bottles of wine for them, which made for an interesting delay at customs. (Two checked boxes; I'm the master packer.)

They ended up having some double-walled cardboard boxes made up that were exactly the maximum dimensions for checked luggage, and they checked 12 such boxes. This was actually the least expensive way to move this much stuff home. I met them at JFK in a rental truck, that got some stares.

But you ship KK's around the world, surely you can manage this also by boat.

That is funny about Famous Dave's. I had never even heard of him or the restaurant until one opened year a few years ago. Needless to say it has long shut down. Guess he just wasn't famous enough.

Sounds like you had a fun trip. :? More like work. You seem to handle it much better than I could have. One week is about my maximum survivability. There's no place like home, there's no place like home!!

Famous Dave's is big here in the Midwest, given his starting out in the Twin Cities. Had his food at our local annual BBQ Round-up. Decent, is all I can say. Never actually been in one of the restaurants. He's won a lot of hardware for his ribs. Don't think he's ever won at the biggies (The Jack, Memphis in May, American Royal).