DavidS

It on the cooker

A 23 pound chuck roll started at 12:30 pm. 11 lbs Wick Good Comp. blend plus about 1/4 chimmey light dumped on top, apple wood for smoke. Rubbed with Turbinado sugar, coarse salt, paprika (mixed hot & sweet),granulated garlic and onion powder, cayenne pepper and ground coriander. :D:D

Should come off sometime tuesday evening. IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

Re: It on the cooker

A 23 pound chuck roll started at 12:30 pm. 11 lbs Wick Good Comp. blend plus about 1/4 chimmey light dumped on top, apple wood for smoke. Rubbed with Turbinado sugar, coarse salt, paprika (mixed hot & sweet),granulated garlic and onion powder, cayenne pepper and ground coriander. :D:D

Should come off sometime tuesday evening.

Quite impressive peace of meat. Our animals don't get that huge :(

I needed to adjust the lid latch for a better seal. No problem moved the adjustment a little and it stopped the leaks. The more I use the KK the more impressed I am. :D Charcoal usage on the 19 1/2 cook was very little. Started with 11 lbs plus 1/4 chimmey, when done the charcoal basket was still full. :D:D

Gave some to friends the rest foodsavered and frozen. Taste was very good. Still have 2 more of them frozen' date=' be a while before I do another. Next one will be cooked at around 230 to 240 and longer is loss a little more fat. :)[/quote']

How long will such a piece have with 230? What's should be the inner temperature? Have you marinated it before putting it on the grill?

Thank you for your tipps! I'm planning to do one next weekend.

tlinder

Seemed to cook a little faster than pork butts, they take about 1 1/2 hrs per pound for me at 225 or 230. I took the last chuck roll off at 190 and put in cooker wrapped in foil. The next on I will go to 195 or 200 degrees. The chuck roll has a lot of grease, makes them taste good. :) Really can't give a time since it cooked hotter than I normaly do. My guess is a little over a hour per pound. I just used a rub and let set overnight. The rub was:

1/4 cup turbosugar

1/4 cup coarse salt

1/4 cup paprika (I just a mix of sweet & hot)

1 TBS fresh ground pepper

1 TBS each of granulated garlic and onion powder

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp coriander

Look like you are doing great with you new KK. In my 40 plus years of bbq the KK is BY FAR the best cooker I have used. :D

tlinder

Seemed to cook a little faster than pork butts, they take about 1 1/2 hrs per pound for me at 225 or 230. I took the last chuck roll off at 190 and put in cooker wrapped in foil. The next on I will go to 195 or 200 degrees. The chuck roll has a lot of grease, makes them taste good. :) Really can't give a time since it cooked hotter than I normaly do. My guess is a little over a hour per pound. I just used a rub and let set overnight. The rub was:

1/4 cup turbosugar

1/4 cup coarse salt

1/4 cup paprika (I just a mix of sweet & hot)

1 TBS fresh ground pepper

1 TBS each of granulated garlic and onion powder

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp coriander

Look like you are doing great with you new KK. In my 40 plus years of bbq the KK is BY FAR the best cooker I have used. :D

Thank you very much fot the recipe. I don't have such a long experience but I can completly agree with you that the Kk is a fantastic device.

Do you use extra woodchips of pellets or is the smoke you get from the lump enough for a good smoke taste with the chuck roll?

This Saturday I'm goint to have 30 people in my garden. Now I was planning to do such a chuck roll for my guests. As a dry run I bought 3 lb of shoulder-meat from my butcher:

P1000690.jpg

and let it in the KK for 24 hours with 200 to 250 Fahrenheit till it had an internal temperature of 185. The taste of the meat is actually quiet nice but very dry:

P1000702.jpg

Is this perhaps, because the piece was that small or are swiss cows just not fat enough?

to be honest, i've wanted to reply, but feel a little intimidated by the differences in identifying cuts of meat, and the differences there may be between american meat and european meat.

first, that long a cook for such a small piece of meat is too much, regardless. i dont feel able to advise on how else to cook this piece tho, except just to say "don't do it for that long".

second, there's no way to draw a comparison between a 3# hunk of beef shoulder and a 23# chuck roll. because of the mass and shape, the chuck roll will cook entirely differently over low-heat and long hours. while i would prepare a 3# chuck roast by braising or stewing, i would slow cook a 23# chuck roll in a dry environment.

part of this has to do with giving the connective tissues time to break down. i won't go into it cause it bores most people, except to say that by the time you would be able to break them down with dry heat, the 3# roast dries out, while the 23# roast becomes tender vittles.

to be honest' date=' i've wanted to reply, but feel a little intimidated by the differences in identifying cuts of meat, and the differences there may be between american meat and european meat.[/quote']

I completly agree with you. This is really a difficult topic. My butcher has of course never heard of a chuck roll and consulted me then, that this must be the main piece he can get from the shoulder. but from a Swiss cow this piece is only about 12 lb, everything is a little bit smaller here :)

first' date=' that long a cook for such a small piece of meat is too much, regardless. i dont feel able to advise on how else to cook this piece tho, except just to say "don't do it for that long". [/quote']

It really was only meant as an experiment. I wanted to get an idea if the whole connective tissue break down works with this kind of meat. It seams to work because it is really supertender.

second' date=' there's no way to draw a comparison between a 3# hunk of beef shoulder and a 23# chuck roll. because of the mass and shape, the chuck roll will cook entirely differently over low-heat and long hours. while i would prepare a 3# chuck roast by braising or stewing, i would slow cook a 23# chuck roll in a dry environment. part of this has to do with giving the connective tissues time to break down. i won't go into it cause it bores most people, except to say that by the time you would be able to break them down with dry heat, the 3# roast dries out, while the 23# roast becomes tender vittles.[/quote']

That's exactly what I wanted to know. So it's very probable that with a Swiss shoulder piece the thing could work. The whole break down thing works with the small piece so I just need more mass to save from drying out. Do you think 12 lb is enough? How long does this piece need, about 12 hours with 230 degrees?

Thank you so much for your hints!

well, a beef brisket runs anywhere from 9-14 lbs. and goes around 16 hours (ballpark) around 250 deg. if i were experimenting, i'd start with a 12 hour cook and leave yourself time to go all the way to 20 if you have to. i would also cook indirect, with a drip pan and heat shield.

go with 250, check after 12 hours. if still tough, go longer.