DavidS

It on the cooker

You could be right on the difference in cows. The cut you cooked does not look like it had much fat. The chuck roll I cooked had A LOT of fat it was graded choice or better. I was suprised that it only cooked 19 1/2 hours but the temp was 290 down to 225.

I will try one of the other two I have in a couple of weeks cooked at 225. one weighs 25 and the other 29. Will have lots of beef and grease.

:D

You could be right on the difference in cows. The cut you cooked does not look like it had much fat. The chuck roll I cooked had A LOT of fat it was graded choice or better. I was suprised that it only cooked 19 1/2 hours but the temp was 290 down to 225.

I will try one of the other two I have in a couple of weeks cooked at 225. one weighs 25 and the other 29. Will have lots of beef and grease.

:D

There sure is quiet a big difference but the butcher actually promissed me that the piece he can get me for this Saturday is going to be way fatier. I will do 2 x 12 lb for 12 hours and publish pictures of my success or failure on Sunday. As an alternative to the shoulder meat he offered me a 20lb ribeye piece. Would this perhaps be more suitable, because this one is sure way fatier?

is he offering it for the same price? if so, you should jump on it, and either prepare per "prime rib" or cut into thick steaks and grill to taste. a slow cooked prime rib is wonderful, but you shouldn't count on an overnite cook for it; it is much more tender. lots of fat, but not lots of connective tissue.

i would GUESS a roasting temp of about 300 for several hours with a savory herb crust til the internal gets to around 130 or so for rare. i'm sure others here have good recipes for prime rib; not really my bag tho. too expensive for this porkchop...

Chuck Roll

Stop! A chuck roll is the whole Chuck that you get chuck roast from. They cut the roll in to pieces called chuck roast. As you know they like a slow moist cook to be tender and juicy. The house way is in a roaster, slow cooker, or cook'n bag. Now let's talk K kooking!

To keep it moist you can cook it from 275 to 325 for 4 to 6 hours. Stick a fork in it, when it falls apart it's ready. I cook mine in either a foil pouch or in a disposable pan coverd with foil.

John

is he offering it for the same price? if so, you should jump on it, and either prepare per "prime rib" or cut into thick steaks and grill to taste. a slow cooked prime rib is wonderful, but you shouldn't count on an overnite cook for it; it is much more tender. lots of fat, but not lots of connective tissue.

i would GUESS a roasting temp of about 300 for several hours with a savory herb crust til the internal gets to around 130 or so for rare. i'm sure others here have good recipes for prime rib; not really my bag tho. too expensive for this porkchop...

Thank you Porkchop and DavidS for your tipps. I will probably go for the prime Rib because not everybody is in chuck roll here but everybody loves prime rib. Tomorow my butcher gets his meat delivered. Then I will go to him and take a look at the different pieces he has to offer.

The prime rib should not be way more expensive then the chuck meat but with the prime rib I lose less weight because I don't have to do it for such a long time on the grill.

I really got now a nice organic prime rib of 20 pound for a fair price. Because it's so huge the butcher told me, that I shoud calculate at least 12 hours cooking time. So it's now 11 pm and I just put it on the grill. Before I marinated it with a homemade herb marinade like Porkchop suggested. I hope it reaches 130 till tomorrow at noon when my 30 guests arrive :lol:

primerib.jpg

Although I had the grill temperature only on 230 the 20 pound piece went from 55 to 120 within about 3 hours. I then moved it into a preheated insulated foodbox where I keep it now till one hour before the guests arrive. The temperature stays quiet stable in there. Then I will give a finish to the meat with some direct fire. It's going to be served with a delicious potatoe gratin. Tomorow I will publish photos of the final product.

TLinder, how did it go? Your prime rib looked beautiful on the grill. If I calculate right, you took it off the grill at 2:00 am? Goodness! Good thing you were awake! Hope you were fit to visit with your guests - I'd have been very crabby to be awake at that hour.

Tell us all the mouth watering details, and we want PHOTOS!! :) Best to the Lovely Mrs. Linder, too. :)

TLinder, how did it go? Your prime rib looked beautiful on the grill. If I calculate right, you took it off the grill at 2:00 am? Goodness! Good thing you were awake! Hope you were fit to visit with your guests - I'd have been very crabby to be awake at that hour.

Tell us all the mouth watering details, and we want PHOTOS!! :) Best to the Lovely Mrs. Linder, too. :)

I have a 4 month old son so I'm up anyway every few hours in the night :)

The meat was really a complete success. The meat was superjuicy and tender. Everybody loved it!

Here the picture of the finished meat. I put it once again on the grill for 30 minutes before serving:

P1000720.jpg

And here we were cutting it:

P1000722.jpg

For dessert I did again my famous bananas flambée:

P1000738.jpg

We have now about 8 pounds of leftover meat (20 pounds was probably too much for 27 persons). We will have some nice sandwichs in the next days!

Oooh, that meat looks lovely!! Mmm!

Now, tell about the bananas! Never saw them on the grill. Are they like bananas foster, here? Brown sugar, butter, bananas cooked together, add brandy, and a flame? WHOOSH!! Served over vanilla ice cream. :)

I just placed the recipe into the right section of the forum:

http://komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5023#5023

Re: Prime Rib..

That prime rib looks great... I've never cooked one.. Question' date=' Why are they always tied up?[/quote']I believe when they take the ribs off, the meat is not really a pretty log shape. It has flaps and things. The string keeps it tidy in a long log, so it cooks evenly. Otherwise, the flappy pieces would be hard and overcooked, and it wouldn't slice nicely. Tied, it cooks in the right shape for proper slicing.

That, or TLinder was afraid it was so fresh it would run right off the grill, so he tied it up. ;)

Re: Prime Rib..

That prime rib looks great... I've never cooked one.. Question' date=' Why are they always tied up?[/quote']

Sanny ist right. This piece has an uneven shape and it's so much meat without bone. So it can't stay in a nice shape by it's own when it's raw. After the cooking it kept the nice round shape from the tyeing up as you can see on the second picture.

Yesterday we finished the leftovers. It was even better then on Saturday. I cut 1cm pieces and put them on the grill just to heat up for 2 minutes and served it with a Madeira-Cream-Sauce.

Prime Rib

Tlinder: Through the various posts, I saw that you were looking for the visual impact of the big piece of meat. I have cooked several large prime ribs over the years with excellent tasting and asthetically pleasing results. However, in an effort to please more of my guests tastes, I now buy a large roast and split it. This allows me to prepare a smaller portion that is more medium for those who do not apprecaite a rare or medium rare piece. I realize that it does not produce the grand effect of a large roast beast. But I am able to bask in the glory of those who think I am a clever cook.

For what it is worth.

I think I'll do one for X-Mas...

will have some family over for a couple of days. I think I'll cook, pull and throw it in a crock pot set to warm lightly sauced with some apple juice and let people "graze" all day on the December que.

Whereas Brisket is 1.5~2HRs/# @ 220*F, the Chuck Roll seems much more forgiving. Folks here have had their cooker run up to 300*F and still have had good results. I think 1HR/# @ 250*F will prpbably do.