ZooBeeQ

More meat more cook time??

I am already cooking about 50 lbs of pork butt so it is a lil late to ask this, ( i tried, forum was compiling last night ) but ... is this going to take longer than my usual 12 hrs ?? From what I did find on the bge forum there was no definitive answer just, when the butts are done they done :lol: and I get that. I am just curious at this point.

I have done a few butts already and they have turned out well enough that my boss has asked me to do a butt load for the bills tailgate party tomorrow ( bills I know, just feel sorry for me ) Now the meat is already on and I plan to remove it by 8 am tomorrow, butts willing. I put the pork on about 5 pm ,the KK temp was only up to 100 and was starting to smoke from the apple wood. 250 temp was hit about 630 pm so now its wait and see.

Thanks for listening

Zoo

Re: More meat more cook time??

My hypothestimate is that it will take more BTU's to bring a larger volume of meat to temp. If we think of them as big heat sponges.. more heat will be necessary to bring them to your target temp.. If you maintain the same temps that you do for your 12 hour cooks, I'm guessing it will be the same.. You will definitely burn more fuel.

Please take some shots..

;);)