daveco

New here. Just ordered 23" today

I have owned a Kamado from a different manufacturer for several years. I no longer have that cooker and wanted the best so I ordered one from this site. I spoke to Dennis twice before ordering and I appreciate the help he offered. I am really looking forward to cooking on this new ceramic! I ordered a guru today, as well. I've never used a temperature controller for low and slow and I am sure looking forward to not having to monitor temps for hours on end. I will be reading up on everyone's shared recipes and will be trying many I am sure!

Congratulations on your decision! You will discover, as I have the past several months of KK ownership, it is easy to get the KK to hold a steady temp for smoking or low-slow cooking with ease. 14-hours at 225-250 degrees is a walk in the park for the KK!

Members promised I wouldn't miss my $$ stainless steel propane fired BBQ and electric smoker...and they were right!

Welcome! The choice to buy the Guru was a good one, IMHO. It's very nice to "set it and forget it," especially on an overnight cook.

One word of caution with the Guru. It can't bring back down a temperature overshoot very quickly, so you're going to have to learn to keep all the dampers very much closed, including the one on the Guru fan outlet, and let the Guru do all the work. Otherwise, natural draft will take your temperature control away from you (Mother Nature always wins!), especially on a windy day!

You're going to have so much fun, hang on for the ride. As another forum used to preach to newbies - go buy a bigger belt now, you'll need it!

Which guru did you get? It really doesn't matter, I'm just curious. I've found with mine, I don't close the fan damper, but close the top vent more than you would believe. This will change a bit as you use yours, but mostly be aware the the grill will over shoot easily, and, as stated, it's very hard to bring back down. Once you get the hang of it, set it and forget it becomes very real. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats on your new KK. You are getting it at the right before the Holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Smoked Turkey, yum ! I too have a Guru and have used it a couple of times but it's best to learn how to use the KK without it first. Maintaining temperature on the KK is easy. You are in for a treat. Enjoy the journey.