rorkin

Creosote ?

Acetone

Oh this brings back memories.

When I was a little kid I made a "kill jar" for collecting bugs, with an acetone-soaked cloth in an old jar. I got four of the weirdest looking beetles, knocked them out using the jar, brought them back to my room and laid them out on card stock. I was about to label them when I was called to dinner. Came back and no bugs in sight. They never did turn up...

My Mom got quite used to this. I later collected praying mantis pods to sell door-to-door for people's gardens. People would close the door "what? are you out of your mind?" then think about it and send their daughters chasing after me. (Oh boy I was too young to appreciate this!) Then I got bored and my entire inventory hatched in my Mom's closet. She had a word with me.

Grease Monster Come To Life?

mguerra, after seeing a photo of your "used" lava rock deflector a while back (which unfortunately I can't find via search) I wouldn't be surprised if all the junk on your top damper was the remnants of a failed escape attempt of some new species of grease monster. Perhaps that amorphous mound of charred grease and goo achieved sentience, climbed up the walls of the cooker and failed to make it all the way through the gasket, its poor melted remains left to gum up the works. You murderer! ;-)

monster

Yes, I remember your reaction to that photo! And I have recently removed that lava rock grease monster from my KK. Now I'm using the stock heat deflector. My guess is that the problem is multifactorial; a barely cracked open top damper, a LOT of low and slow pork butts, the grease monster, a fair bit of mesquite, and almost no really hot fires.

I did two pork butts last night and tried to control the temp with a more open top damper and a more closed bottom damper, but that did not work; it couldn't keep the temp down. The top of my KK is even thicker and greasier with tar than the photos from a few days ago!!! Anyway once I install a new gasket and stop using the grease monster lava rock rig, we'll see what happens.