Porkchop

Soon as i can figure out this camera...

i CANNOT figure out this camera, so i'm gonna try to take some pics with my crappo camera tomorrow when the light is good. i cant tell with this thing whether or not there are even any pictures on it. doesn't look like it. dang it!!

sorry you guys! will post more pics tomorrow. i've got a couple butts on right now, smokin away!

no photos

Hey porkchop....sounds like you are having a helluva time. You should be kicking back with a cold beverage and admiring the BBQ. 8) You can tell us how great it is......How's that firebox? Does it wheel around pretty smooth? Any chicken wire poking through the inside? What options did you get? You can figure out the camera while your butts are cooking. :idea:

well, this is a BORING cooker that's for sure! nothing to do! it has been sitting like a rock at 210 since i started it at 4! i'll make this a longish report to make up for the lack of photos. i PROMISE i will get some photos up tomorrow with my camera. its crappy, but i know how it works!

i will start with uncrating. this was some work. dennis went to alot of trouble to make sure that larry arrived intact and undamaged. i started thursday night, which was a mistake, because i was using my crowbar, and i dinged the finish :( so now i have to go and get some black paint to cover that up. made it all the way from indonesia fine, and i nick the finish! plus, if i had waited, i would have found the crowbar he included for me! wow!

so, this afternoon, me and the boy get done uncrating, and manage to roll larry off the pallet and onto my back porch. piled the used slats and made a makeshift ramp. this thing is heavy!!

once i got done adjusting the tension spring with the included ratchet (!!), which was easy as pie, i started in with the pictures (or just pushing buttons; don't know if they're in there or not!). found out that a whole bag of cowboy lump comes right up to the edge of the firebox.

anyway, i started with a half chimney of lit coals on top of the pile and set the upper draft open one full turn and the lower draft door closed, but the fine adjust knob turned half open. left and got my butts rubbed down, came back like 20 min later, and threw on some wood chips (combo of sassafras, cherry, and hickory), and put the butts on. came back about a half hour later and the cooker was at like 325, so i shut the top damper all the way back and then cracked it about 1/4 turn, and dialed back the fine adjust to about 1/8 open. then i "burped" the cooker to cool it down just a little and it came down to 210, which is right where i wanted it. has been there EXACTLY since. outside of the cooker is warm, but you could leave your hand on it all day no problem.

i have larry sitting right next to kong right now, and let me tell you, the similarities end with the paint job. there are those that refer to this cooker as a "knock off"; this is clearly a defense mechanism for their own peace of mind. from top to bottom, this cooker is "re-engineered" to embody what dennis researched for so long; he has anticipated what i want as a bbq enthusiast to a T! i hate to rain on anybody's parade here, but a guru; i cant see how it would be anything other than guilding the lilly.

i am very much looking forward to the several "project cooks" i have lined up, and what i hope will be many years of worry-free enjoyment.

sincerely, dennis, thanks from the bottom of my heart! you know from the minute i met you via your webpage, i maintained i didn't want another cooker. this bad boy sold itself!! awesome!!

i will start with uncrating. this was some work. dennis went to alot of trouble to make sure that larry arrived intact and undamaged. i started thursday night' date=' which was a mistake, because i was using my crowbar, and i dinged the finish :( so now i have to go and get some black paint to cover that up. made it all the way from indonesia fine, and i nick the finish! plus, if i had waited, i would have found the crowbar he included for me! wow! [/quote']

The same thing happened to me. Started to uncrate the thing in the night and in the rain because I was so despearte to get the KK out. Not seeing the crowbar I used my one which is smaller, so I had to put quiet an effort in it and was waking up the whole neigbourhood wile doing it.

Dear Porkchop, enjoy Larry! I hope, you don't get bored too much by him. If so you still have the Kong to spice up your bbq-life :D

For what it's worth...

boring old pulled pork... :) fantastic! easy peasy cook. turned up the temp to 250 around 8 this am to ensure finish on time. pulled all at 5 pm (25 hour cook) got about half my coals left (which is just crazy). temp control is way too easy!

so, here's the crappy pics. there will be some better ones. im hoping that there are some on the borrowed camera, but cant tell.

here we go...

larry082606_0001.jpg

the two cookers side by side...

larry082606_0003.jpg

the belly of the beast!!

i took nine pics! these were the best of them. sorry. looking forward to my next cook!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.