jmagaram

First cook - Beer Can Chicken

Got the grill today. It arrived around noon. Had some stress getting it from my sidewalk to the backyard since a 700lb crate can be quite intimidating and some steps were involved. I arranged for 3 movers to help and they arrived on time. They moved it in the crate using a dolly. We had it uncrated and set up within a couple hours.

I wasn't sure exactly what the color would look like in person and I am thrilled. It is gorgeous. Amazing quality. I was so excited to cook and share the experience that I invited a foodie friend of mine over along with his partner. Kind of hectic getting all the boxes unpacked, teak shelf put in place, charcoal out of the mail-order box, batteries in thermometer, recycling all the packing material, cleaning up the kitchen, and preparing the food. My wife is a bit sick today but my son was excited to help and learn about it. We got going on the beer can chicken recipe I selected - making a rub and glaze. I have almost no experience with charcoal grills and wasn't sure exactly what pieces of the grill went where, but eventually figured it out. My neighbor looked over the fence and was intrigued. So I gave him a quick tour of the grill. Got the grill lit and it heated up fast. Too fast actually - had a little trouble bring it back down. In addition to the chicken we decided to cook a couple steaks. I wanted to sear them at the end but forgot that you can't use the KK at high temperatures the first time you use it, so I settled for cooking it at a moderate temperature with the chicken. My son threw some wood chunks on the coals and we put the food on. My friend arrived while the food was cooking and it was fun showing him how the thing works. I made a short video of the entire process and end result. The chicken was amazing. The steaks were pretty good too. Wonderful bonding time with my son. Everyone had a great time. A new adventure!

Video of the first cook.

http://1drv.ms/1j6EDJz

Congrats on your cooker!! For someone with little charcoal experience with charcoal cooking, you've managed to get the finest charcoal cooker available.

Kamado grills are a bit different in the lighting process, in that you always start with a full basket of charcoal, light only a small amount, unless you're going for very high temps, set your vents and be patient. Very patient. I give myself at least an hour or more to get to temp, sometimes more! As you found out, it's hard to bring temps back down. I guess for me, I had to get used to the fact that with the kk, your optimum cooking window is almost unlimited, whereas on a conventional charcoal grill, that window is pretty small.

I think it's great that you jumped right in, and started having fun, I can think of no better advice than that, have fun! This forum is full of folks more than willing to share experiences, and offer help if you like, you're in for a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice video and I too like that color...it was my #2 choice.  Choosing the color was actually more of a mental struggle than deciding to commit to a KK.  

Oh you're going to have so much fun with your KK.  It almost like reinventing cooking outdoors again...or at least that has been my experience since getting my KK last summer.    

^ generally IIRC leaving the lid open with fired up coals isn't recommended.  Neither is doing 75mph on a 65mph posted highway :D

Just be aware if you do opt to try short and hot grill sessions with the lid open the lid's handle can get uncomfortably warm/hot.  

My son helped me cook. He was so excited about the whole thing and very curious. He was the one in the video asking about grill marks. For anyone who can't see the video, here are a few photos:

The grill on my deck:

post-2-0-98338600-1395404231_thumb.jpg

Close up of the Dark Autumn Nebula:

post-2-0-10996900-1395404253_thumb.jpg

Final beer can chicken:

post-2-0-90139300-1395404268_thumb.jpg

Great video. You are about to embark on an amazing ride - Hang On!

FWIW - find the post under "Poultry" about debunking the Beer Can Chicken myth. Go with spatchcocking - you will get amazing results. I swear that whole chickens are the best thing to come off the KK (and I do love me some ribs, butts, and briskets!)