jmagaram

How to stop cooking

I received my KK a couple days ago. Made chicken the first night and beef chuck yesterday. I have more leftovers in the fridge than I know what to do with. So today when I started getting excited about possible cooks - seared steak, ribs, spatchcock chicken - I realized I don't need any more food and might have to wait a day or two before using the KK again. My heart started beating fast, shortness of breath. Like a panic attack. Withdrawal symptoms. So here I am sitting in my car in the parking lot of Whole Foods debating whether to go in and buy those meats. Or should I resist the urge and wait a couple days? Help!

• Like 4

I am the firemonkey, and I am a ...

Just because you have the protein portion of the meal in the fridge, doesn't mean you can't get your "fix" by grilling some sides to go with the leftovers, or baking some bread, or even just tossing a piece of mild fruit wood on some hot coals to provide some ambiance when your hanging out on the patio!

jmagaram - as I tell my friends "Welcome to The Addiction!"

I take extra portions to the local Police and Fire Stations.  Those guys kill for Q.  I also have been known to take care of my butcher!  I'm always bugging him for special cuts of better cuts or deals and I always make sure to take over a mess of ribs or pulled pork by 10:00 AM.  The guys LOVE it!  They take care of me and I take care of them.

You do have neighbors? It's amazing how accepting people are of the sort of obsession you describe.

There are many a tale on the web of extended power outages after natural calamities (as simple as an ice storm, or for example a hurricane) where a ceramic cooker runs 24/7 preserving the food from everyone's thawing chest freezers. Lesson: Keep plenty of charcoal on hand for the zombie apocalypse!