jmagaram

Grilled trout and lemon

I rubbed some trout with olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, and sumac. Stuffed body with thyme sprigs. Used regular lump and no smoking wood. When grill was around 300 after about 30 min I put them on the lower rack and turned a couple times. Total cook time around 20 minutes mostly lid closed. I also coated some sliced lemon in olive oil and put the slices on the rack with the fish. Pretty tasty. Some smokiness. I had trouble not breaking the akin when turning and the skin wasn't as crispy as I would have liked. Flavor was very good. The lemon slices were amazing. Some got a little charred and the acid was a wonderful complement to the richness of the fish. Served it with some rapini that I had boiled briefly and then drained and chopped and tossed with sautéed garlic, anchovies, and red pepper flakes.

I'm not sure how to get a crispier skin. Also don't know how to avoid breaking the skin when turning. Finally the heat on the lower grill was pretty uneven since the center had the hot coals. I'd like to shorten the cook time so the smoke flavor is more subtle. Worried that if I increase heat and do lower grill they'll burn.

post-1526-139633062716_thumb.jpg

post-1526-139633064475_thumb.jpg

post-1526-139633065624_thumb.jpg

www.grillgrate.com is the answer to your dilemma. Cook hotter without burning and no more broken fish skin. :icon_smile:<br />

<br />

I use GG's a lot!!! They work as advertised!

That looks excellent for grilling fish. What size KK do you have and what size did you get? 

That looks excellent for grilling fish. What size KK do you have and what size did you get?

Good question...but I don't own a KK yet. They give the sizing specs on the GG website. Each panel is 5.25" wide. You'll simply need to determine length. I am guessing you could easily fit 3 panels that are roughly 18.5" in length. I think you'd love this setup:

http://www.mygrillgrate.com/Kit_of_TWO_18_5_Panels_GrateTool_p/rgg18.5k.htm

http://www.mygrillgrate.com/SINGLE_18_5_x_5_25_GrillGrate_p/rgg18.5s.htm

I grill my fish on the main rack. To avoid sticking, I rub the grill with grape seed oil. I also have two spatulas that I use just for turning and picking up the fish. One of them being very wide. For crispy skin, grill at around 400F. Please click on following link to see a whole snapper of a couple of years ago. I find that this method works very well. I avoid getting additional accessories. I feel I already have too many.

I hope this helps.

http://komodokamado.com/forum/topic/3319-for-the-seafood-lovers/?hl=snapper

Do you get a commission on these sales? Why are these grates better for fish? Is it easier to turn with that special spatula?

lol...no commission. Just start googling "grillgrate reviews" if you'd like a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion ;-)

They make cooking fish a dream, from start to finish!! Actually, they make cooking a lot of things a dream :-)