Porkchop

Photos of Larry the OTB!!

somebody showed me how to work the camera yall! see the whole album at http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/porkchop_uiuc/Cooker%20pics/?

here's a taste!

mike031.jpg

burgers & porkchops! the burger in the middle is 2# and is the payment for borrowing the camera!

mike003.jpg

Larry begs for food...

mike001.jpg

what i had left after 25(!) hours of cooking. started with the pile just level to the edge of the firebox! egads!

lots more pics coming to my soon-to-be-updated website, in the way of comparison with my mexi-k! stay tuned!

SWEET!

Well, it is about time you got some pics we can actually see - hehe. Larry looks great man; that black on stainless is very nice looking. We are anxiously awaiting more cooking pics!

Umm dude, you going for the world's largest burger there in the middle of your grill or what? :shock: hehe

BTW, very nice comparison pics you have on the photobucket site.

-=Jasen=-

Oh the shame... ;)

OK Porkchop... I spot some Cowboy lump in your gallery... At least there's no signs of Kingsford or lighter fluid anywhere ;)

Gotta admit I've been forced in a pinch to pick up a bag or two myself at the local groceries. Thus far my KKs only seen Humphrey, Wicked Good and Royal Oak. I do have a box of Kamado extruded lump around from the dark ages.

harsh dude! cowboy works fine for me. i PREFER it to extruded lump' date=' actually. i also do use royal oak from wally world. cant get the others you mentioned from around here...[/quote']

For picnics and grilling Cowboy was fine... I thought it burned hotter than some of the better brands and was good for searing. But when the Nakedwhiz found a sheet of plywood inside a bag of Cowboy I stopped buying.

Unfortunately, it is one of the only two lump charcoals available around here too. Though I always find one or two pieces of non carbonized wood in it, it still does not seem too bad. Luckily Royal Oak from WallyWorld is the other (well you could say three as we have BGE charcoal too, but it is Royal Oak).

Call it a personal crusade, but every single person I get into a conversation with about grilling, I give them my charcoal speech. I have converted literally dozens of people in this area to natural lump. It is funny how many people really do not understand what it is or how to use it. Once they understand how to use it, they realize how good it is. But I figure the more people I can get using it, the more readily available it will be. Right now, Walmart does not even carry it all year around. At least Publix and Lowes are now carrying Cowboy so I have a backup.

-=Jasen=-

porkchop,

How hard is it to flip burgers near the back of the grill? It seems that the lid doesn't open enough to facilitate easy flipping?

Now that you mention it, that does look like it could be a hassle. Tough enough to get at burgers when the grill is below the rim of the cooker, especially when the bars of the grill are oriented perpendicular to the spatula.

How about it, Porkchop? Is access and flipping okay?

BTW, since this is my first post in this thread... Larry is drop dead gorgeous. I wanted a tiled kk but I'm starting to lean pretty heavily to a Larry clone when I get ready to order.

nope. not a problem. easy as pie. in fact, cause the grill is recessed, when one of the burgers tried to get away from my spatula, the "wall" stopped it. i've lost burgers and rollaway brats like that before :lol:

great thing is not having to lock open any prop tubes. before, when i was in a hurry, i'd just hold the dome open with one hand and flip with the other, which was a bit inconvenient. having to spend time just locking one prop tube open can be a problem when you are in a hurry, esp on a hot cook. more and more, i'm thinking that spring loaded hinge is more than just a convenience; i really really like it!

wes is coming down saturday for TRI-TIP and more pics! that will be my first hot cook! the burgers and chops were 250 with smoke.

oh, incidently, another thing is that the spring is user-set. i have mine deliberately set so that the dome doesn't come up all the way; i don't want it to bounce at the top, so i have less tension in the spring. once i've used it awhile, i might adjust the tension to get just a little more height.

Lost in Space

I bought all 3 years of "Lost in Space" for me and my 8 year old daughter to watch together. I had forgotten just how goofy that show was and how bad the acting and sets were...just awful. I just remembered it being a family oriented show and very safe for my daughter's eyes, which it is.

But we are both addicted to it now and have a ball watching it together every few days. Every show she says something like, "Why didn't Dr. Smith just get off, he messes up everything, boy I wish he was not on the Jupiter 2".

But anyway, Kong sorta reminds me of the Robot on Lost in Space (during the black and white years) , and Larry looks more like a Star Wars robot. :D

Call it a personal crusade, but every single person I get into a conversation with about grilling, I give them my charcoal speech. I have converted literally dozens of people in this area to natural lump. It is funny how many people really do not understand what it is or how to use it. Once they understand how to use it, they realize how good it is. But I figure the more people I can get using it, the more readily available it will be. Right now, Walmart does not even carry it all year around. At least Publix and Lowes are now carrying Cowboy so I have a backup.

-=Jasen=-

that is hilarious, because i do the exact same thing. i have engaged in conversation with folks in line ahead of me with Kingsford or (ech) Matchlight and let them know all the crap in briquettes and how good lump is. my wife hates when i do it! anyone in the real (not www) world that i start in on about "grilling", fuel is the first topic to cover!

Re: Lost in Space

I bought all 3 years of "Lost in Space" for me and my 8 year old daughter to watch together. I had forgotten just how goofy that show was and how bad the acting and sets were...just awful. I just remembered it being a family oriented show and very safe for my daughter's eyes, which it is.

But we are both addicted to it now and have a ball watching it together every few days. Every show she says something like, "Why didn't Dr. Smith just get off, he messes up everything, boy I wish he was not on the Jupiter 2".

But anyway, Kong sorta reminds me of the Robot on Lost in Space (during the black and white years) , and Larry looks more like a Star Wars robot. :D

I was wondering were the hell all that was going - hehe! :shock: But yeah, I can kinda see it. Hey, don't forget to pick up Land of the Lost too (hated those damn sleestacks - hehe).

-=Jasen=-

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.