DennisLinkletter

New Baking Stone for the 23" Ultimate

I have a round pizza stone and want to try pizza this weekend. Hoping that someone can advise as to the setup for my 23" as well as recommended temperature?

For example, do I need to use the heat deflector plate vs can I simply place my pizza stone on a grill near up high (I.e. The seam where the lid opens)?

As well I have seen temperatures from 400 to 800 degrees.

Thx.

Tippy: Do not use the heat deflector with the pizza stone...no need. In fact, if you use the heat deflector sitting on the middle grate for example, it will disrupt the air flow creating a pocket of cooler air between the stones; thereby complicating temperature regulation on the baking stone, especially an issue at the higher temps required for Neapolitan dough (based upon my experiments).

Temperature will depend on the type of dough and style/thickness of the pizza. I am mostly exclusively making Neapolitan style pies that really require 750-800 degrees F. Whereas a dough containing oil and sugar will be much happier < 500.

To get the maximum radiant effect, for mimicing a true pizza oven, I place the stone atop the highest level on the sear grate positioned atop the highest/largest grate. You will need to raise the OE thermometer otherwise it will touch the pie in this position (wood clothespin or foil does the trick).

Dennis' new shaped baking stone is the best stone I've used...30-years and counting.

• Like 3