Porkchop

What's going on the grill for Labor Day weekend???

Wes (Saunka) is coming down to my estate :D tomorrow for grilling and picture taking. wes is a phenomenal photographer with a great eye, so i can't wait to see what he produces! we will be feeding Larry tri-tips and roasted onions and peppers! and other stuff! making pulled pork nachos for an appetizer.

anybody else have grand plans! this is the last big bbq/grilling holiday for the year, so the bbq police will be out giving tickets if you don't get out there and grill!

sanny, i KNOW you aren't letting your paramour or that sweet puppy dog go hungry this weekend, right! you always take some nice pics of your cooking!

I work all weekend :cry: , so ya'll cook some good eats and take pics for me!

I did do a fantastic roast last night (in the oven though as the little smokey joe would not have worked). I discovered something I really liked on pork ..... which was poultry season blend! I make up my own, but it is readily available in most groceries too. I combined thyme, rosemary, sage, black pepper, salt and added in some basil; rubbed the roast down with the season and let sit a few hours. That flavor combination made the best tasting roast I have ever cooked - Mmmmm! I bet it would be great grilled on pork or beef too.

-=Jasen=-

Re: What's going on the grill for Labor Day weekend???

sanny' date=' i KNOW you aren't letting your paramour or that sweet puppy dog go hungry this weekend, right! you always take some nice pics of your cooking![/quote']PC, you and Wes are going to have to Q for us. Snooky has decided to abscond to MA for the weekend, so it's just me and the dog. And the remains of Ernesto, of course. So, it should be pouring down rain for a 3 day holiday. Probably no cooking on the cooker for us. There are a few chicken legs, though, that might want a little love. Maybe I could convince myself to stand in the rain to start the grill. Or perhaps this is the right time to buy the gas bottle I keep forgetting! Beats newspaper and a lighter in the rain, I bet...

On the grill for Labor Day: 10 chicken legs (hoisin sauce based marinade), 2 ears of corn (foil wrapped, with butter, olive oil, seasoning), and 2 gorgonzola sun dried tomato hamburgers. The burgers went on a grill over a drip pan. Sort of an indirect method, I guess. No flipping, no grill marks, and very little grease. Dare I suggest, baked burgers? Very juicy, though.

Experimenting with non-swine for the day. :)

Of course, no one but me here to eat it. Snooky vanished to Massachusetts for the weekend. Mother asked when she'd get something off the grill (I did give her a bite of pulled pork, but she wasn't enthusiastic, so I'm not eager to waste my good q on her anymore). I called her to share chicken legs, but she's out and about somewhere.

Oh well. Lots for lunches this week. :)

Tri tip pics from sat 9/2

here's some pics from wes (saunka). we had tri tip, roasted peppers, tortillas, beans and wes' special cole slaw (the BEST!)

here's the pics:

KK1.jpg

kk5.jpg

this is a great pic of the hot coals! notice that they are burning hot more towards the back, under the upper draft. a fire management technique to think about (as i've notice this happening more than once) is to light the fire up towards the front of the cooker and let it work its way back towards that draft. i'll be trying that next slow cook.

meat.jpg

two yummy tri-tips!!

feeding20larry.jpg

putting peppers on the grill for roasting

mike20and20larry.jpg

me and my KomodoKamado!!

tree.jpg

just a great pic that wes took of my shed and pin-oak tree...

thats an awesome pic! yeah, with high temps, eventually the whole pile just goes nuclear, but as it's starting, i've observed it kinda starting towards the rear, even if i dump my hot starter coals in the middle. of course, i've done 3 whole cooks now, so i am an EXPERT! :D

what temp did you have the cooker at with that? looks like a bed of hot lava!

what temp did you have the cooker at with that? looks like a bed of hot lava!

Not sure. I don't have my thermometer yet but I can tell you I got some great sear marks on my steak :D

I can tell you that the temperature control is fabulous. If I got my old #7 too hot it was game over and I was eating shoe leather. I have found with the KK with the door pulled open it's like turning on the afterburners (see above pic) but once you're done searing and want to dwell at lower temps then clamp it down and the temps drop quickly. Way too much air leakage to do that on my #7.

I REALLY like this cooker so far. I've cooked 4 times on it so clearly I am the true resident expert :D

Joe

i've gotten the "jerry" remarks ever since junior year college (1988). even today, when i go to school sporting events for my son Cody, there's a guy i run into there just knows me as "jerry". my regular waitress at TGIF calls me "jerry" too, and always gives me a hug when i leave (very cute girl!). i'm a "hunka hunka burnin love!"

the grill that the tri-tips are searing on is the high-gauge searing grill that dennis recently made.

firemonkey - we share a resemblance? i extend my heartfelt condolences :D the textured finish on my kk is very nice. makes the mexi-k version look sloppy in comparison. it is very even and sanded smooth. i really like it!