Hector

Dinosaur Beef Ribs

I bought some Beef Ribs on Thursday from Bertie's. After last week I thought 6 ribs would be good for us, big mistake these things weighed in at 3kg and set me back $60.

The ribs were not trimmed, so I had to remove the skin and tidy them up.

a7aveser.jpg

This was after they were trimmed.

8y7y4ebu.jpg

This is week 2 of a 3 week exercise to find a beef rib supplier that I really like. The first week was Peter Bouchier, this week is Bertie's and I have another supplier lined up next week. So far Bouchier was $18/kg, Bertie's were $20/kg and my other supplier will be $16/kg

These are the ribs all rubbed up, the same as last week, they then spent the night in the fridge

ma9evy4e.jpg

The ribs went on to the Komodo at 7.30am this morning. They have been wood smoked and also I have used some Bourbon barrel pellets.

9uny8yda.jpg

7yhenure.jpg

These are the ribs after 7 hours, still a bit of time to go

my2a4y9u.jpg

vequqeru.jpg

These monsters ended up taking 10 hours :-)

unynura3.jpg

Here they are cut up. Definitely too big, one each was easily enough. My learning this time is that the top part of the meat was heading to well done, the bottom part was incredibly moist and tender, fall apart. Next time I would foil earlier, each cook I learn more :-)

e5y7u4yj.jpg

umyde7e7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/14/su6a5adu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/14/8yqynyze.jpg

These ribs were great but I prefer the Shorties. Next week is my last supplier of Beefies, so we will see how they go.

Those look great.. with beef ribs I often splurge and eat too much and end up feeling uncomfortable from eating too much fat,, Do't get me wrong.. I love fat just can feel a bit uncomfortable afterwards like i just drank oil or something.. I have a butcher here who sometimes leaves a layer of fat and the muscle above pork ribs on the ribs.. I guess it's like having more/some of the belly on the ribs.. makes them really thick and lots of meat.. problem is there is also a layer of fat there which dramatically increases how much fat you eat..  I always try to remember not to eat too much but never have the discipline to stop.. It's like pulling pork and not filling up with pieces of bark.. I've never eaten brisket or pulled pork at the table because I'm stuffed from eating all the lil fatty gems in the bark..

• Like 2

Beef back rib instructions are scarce on the ground, the economics heavily favors selling "shiners" to maximize the boneless rib eye steaks sold separately.

My request for a generously butchered rack lead to several days of controversy at one of my go-to butchers. Finally this 7 lb rack was sold to me "it never happened" without boss approval.

I wonder where the optimum is, I may be ruining perfectly good rib eye steak here, but I'm sure looking forward to the result.

backribs.jpg

• Like 1

This should be called the Komodo Affirmation Forum!

Never underestimate the power of affirmation. A colleague and I got nice jobs because I kept telling him we were doing the right thing, when all seasoned advice was to take a more traditional approach. I was a broken record, "You're doing great! You're doing great!"

• Like 1