fixie

Lid open or closed for starting coal and searing

I cooked three beautiful rib eye steaks last weekend. I started a full lumpsaver basket using the gas feature with the lid open. Once it was going strong I removed the gas and closed the lid. I left plenty of airflow in and out. The temp got to 650 very quickly. I cooked the steaks on the lower grill. They were nicely seared and tasted great. I left the lid open during cooking because I wanted to turn them at 2, 4, and 8 minutes and I wanted to watch for flare-ups.

Do you recommend having the lid open or closed when getting the charcoal going with the gas feature?

Do you recommend having the lid open for searing on the lower grill?

Thanks,

Fixie

Re: Lid open or closed for starting coal and searing

I cooked three beautiful rib eye steaks last weekend. I started a full lumpsaver basket using the gas feature with the lid open. Once it was going strong I removed the gas and closed the lid. I left plenty of airflow in and out. The temp got to 650 very quickly. I cooked the steaks on the lower grill. They were nicely seared and tasted great. I left the lid open during cooking because I wanted to turn them at 2, 4, and 8 minutes and I wanted to watch for flare-ups.

Do you recommend having the lid open or closed when getting the charcoal going with the gas feature?

Do you recommend having the lid open for searing on the lower grill?

Thanks,

Fixie

Just from my experience with my old grill, I had to leave the lid open while starting the charcoal to make sure the flame did not blow out. If that is not an issue with that, then either way should work. I usually seared my steaks with the lid closed as that kept the grill surface hotter, but I was searing on the main grill. If you are using a sear grill, that is probably not an issue since you are right on top of the coals.

-=Jasen=-