Mureed

Proud New Owner of BB 32" with a few questions

Just Received my BB 32" and its bigger and more beautiful than I could imagine.

1. I ordered the gas lighter with the grill and I would like to know if i should remove it once the charcoal is lit or not?

2. I also got 4 Heat Deflectors with the grill, are these to block half the grill too have a smaller space to cook?  

3. The Charcoal basket is great, but wont the coal eventually fall through the gaps?  Is there an easy way to clean it out or just remove it from the top? 

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.  Will probably have a lot more questions once I start using it.

1.  Although I don't have the propane burner I considered it when I ordered my KK and was under the impression it was mainly used in lieu of charcoal.  I would think if it was used as a lighter eventually charcoal dust will foul/plug the gas ports/orifices in short time.  I would think it would be a hot mess to deal with removing after each light up...Not a qualified answer and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

2.  Sounds appropriate.

3.  Before each cook/fire up session you will want to shake the charcoal basket which will release small chips and burnt dust that only serves to disrupt the burning process of your next fire (hold your breath; wear a dusk mask; and/or lightly spritz the dust prior to removal with water to mitigate inhalation of coal dust).  This will leave behind burnable coals; add new char as necessary.  

I have a small garden trowel I use to remove the coal dust in the bottom of the KK with a final, but unnecessary, vacuum with a HEPA type vac (the fine dust won't get to/clog the vac motor).  I use my KK several times a week and I probably only empty the coal dust about once per month...or less.  

Just Received my BB 32" and its bigger and more beautiful than I could imagine.

1. I ordered the gas lighter with the grill and I would like to know if i should remove it once the charcoal is lit or not?

2. I also got 4 Heat Deflectors with the grill, are these to block half the grill too have a smaller space to cook?  

3. The Charcoal basket is great, but wont the coal eventually fall through the gaps?  Is there an easy way to clean it out or just remove it from the top? 

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.  Will probably have a lot more questions once I start using it.

Thanks for the kudos.. yes the 32 is unexpectedly big and beautiful...  So the 32" BB now has two meanings..

1. Please remember that charcoal burns down so the gas burner is really only for lighting the entire basket for high temp cooks or as a source for additional heat.  That being said, no it can be left in.. you will need to pull it (2 seconds) and tap it out in a box or on a newspaper after the cook.
  2. The heat deflectors are for creating a shielded/indirect cooking area/zone.. You want to position your meat out of the inverted waterfall of hot air coming off your charcoal.. any port of the meat getting direct flow will get hotter /cook faster/ probably be a bit toasted . I ship these beasts with two different types because I like my indirect hear two different ways.. and so the grill deserves both.. One has a uniform distance around the grill.. this creates lots of uniform airflow.. two pieces so you can only use half and easier to handle.  The more rectangle shaped ones are to completely seal off the entire middle of the cooker leaving only the extreme left and right sides open.. this gives you a huge indirect area where food can be filled from the font wall to the rear wall.. both main and upper grill.. This will be a huge volume and I'm dying to see a shot of this done..  
  3. The firebox keeps the charcoal from falling out the sides and the charcoal usually has other charcoal below it so by the time it's burned down to be small enough to fall thru it's caught by the charcoal under it.. It's impossible to finish that charcoal basket in a low and slow cook if you are starting with a fill basket  (which you always should)  But yes at high temps when you are down to nothing the smallest pieces will fall thru the cracks.. that being said, please remember not to pour the small pieces from the bag into the middle of your basket.. they will cut off your airflow and limit your temps.. only pour them around the extreme outside of the firebox/charcoal basket where they still burn but to not kill your airflow.. Always remember airflow creates your temperature.
  4. The floor of the cooker is flush to the lower draft door frame so you can sweep the ashes right out the door into a box from the inside of the grill..  I pack the ashes back under the firebox to extend the time between cleanings and only empty it when the pile starts to restrict incoming airflow.. 
  5. Have fun it it and feel free to call me.. 

post-2-0-53068500-1405446163_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-00258300-1405446173_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-42338200-1405446184_thumb.jpgpost-2-0-93885600-1405446197_thumb.jpg