Smokydave

Char Siu Pork

I watched a guy make char siu pork on the grill on TV so I said to myself, "Self, if it goes on the grill, it's got to be better on my KK."  All of that happened in the flash of a neuron or two and the decision was made.

So I found a million recipes, picked the one out below and then bastardized it to my liking.

I bought a bone-in shoulder with the skin on, deboned it, cut off the skin.  I sliced it into strips (sort of) and marinated for 24 hours.  I left out the honey, added brown sugar, and substituted rice wine vinegar for the sherry.  I did not rub it with the rub the recipe said.  I reserved about a cup-and-a-half of the marinade to use as a baste.

I put it on the KK at 250 with some apple chips.  Left it for about 3 hours, put it in a foil pan and sealed it up for an hour.  Cranked up the heat and basted for about 15 minutes and it was completely awesome.  Better than anything I've had in a Chinese restaurant.

http://www.meatwave.com/blog/smoked-chinese-char-siu-pork-shoulder-steaks-recipe

Sorry about the crappy picture.  We were just about to tear into the pork when I remembered it all doesn't happen without a pic.

post-1101-0-80399100-1405983140_thumb.jp

• Like 2

UNCLE!  Ok...have to admit if you're not 50+ years old you have no clue what "UNCLE" means :D   

Your char siu pork looks outstanding Smokydave!   With all the new recipes posted in the last couple weeks I'm starting to feel inundated :D