dstr8

Slow roasted tomatoes

Timing is everything . I have a garden full of  the tastiest Cherokee heirloom tomatoes and after last weekend had   too many to leave on the vines and was wondering how to use them all. Not enough to make sauce or can , too many to eat in BLTs. As I shut down my K after the evenings cook I looked over the the bench where the now forlorn tomatoes were sitting and thought " **** ill just plop them in the K and let the leftover heat dry them out ! "  4 hours later I was scraping  the most wonderful smelling fruits off of the grill.  I found this post today and thought I would share my solution/story and pick up some tips . I hadn't thought of bagging them with my food sealer. The roasted tomatoes looked kinda sad. I didn't remove all the blemishes from the tomatoes, I would have cut off too much. I decided to make them into paste ! With my trusty hand blender I dumped them into a jar, added some fresh basil from the garden and turned them into  a silky deep sweet red paste that was indeed unctuous omg  (Thanks for that word @dstr8 )

I thought the paste would be easier to use, just a dollop here and there and Yes! put it in a bag and freeze to break off bits as needed. 

Hmmm, I have more tomatoes ripening even now, man they love this hot weather.

I see a pizza in my immediate future . . . . .

• Like 1

Not a good year for tomatoes for me. Lots of rain, at usually the wrong time. Many tomatoes split open from too much water, usually just before ripening (Murphy's Law, right?), so they got "icky" with fungus or bugs. I've just about given up on heirloom varieties. Will likely plant standard hybrids next year to have a better shot at a decent harvest. 

Pics of the tomato paste of the resulting pizza?? :-P Thanks everyone.

I can do that. Let me know when yall are coming and i'll mix up some extra dough for the pie, s. 

I only got  a half qt mason jar of paste  so far. It's sweet enough I could use it for ketchup or jam.

Tony b , sorry about your luck, I had some split too but getting them off the vine fast helped some. The heirloom ones really need to be started early but we had very good luck with them on our first ever from seed. Lucky I guess. Something was eating the ripe ones too dangit, big bites like a squirrel.

Not a great pic but ill make more jam this weekend.

Sue

paste.jpg