Smokedinthyme

Sacramento area KK owner

Sitting in my garage. My 23 KK finally made it home. I was so nervous about how to get my new KK to my backyard without it falling or breaking. Luckily there is a ramp hidden in the top of the crate it comes in. I was immediately impressed with the quality and customer care. Unlike every other Chinese made product our country unfortunately uses.

Three weeks before this moment, I had emailed Dennis many times and he in turn replied immediately. I even called him and talked to him on the phone. He was comforting me in the fact it will be at my house soon and how everyone goes through a kid before Christmas feeling. He emailed me through every step by step process. From being in a container on a merchant vessel. To being in the warehouse in la. To being at my doorstep. Nothing like talking to the proud owner through every process from beginning to end and through my KKs lifetime.

My first cook was two 6 pound pork butts. I made my own rub, brined for 8 hours in the fridge and reapplied the rub. Let them sit until room temp. In the meantime I filled my charcoal basket with lump from whole foods, which is great, largest pieces on bottom along with chunks of almond wood for the smoke. I filled the basket up with smaller lump on top and scattered apple wood slivers. Lit one lump and laid it on top. Placed the heat deflector and main grill. Ran my bbq guru probes through the rubber sealed while. Closed the lid. Cracked the bottom damper. Cracked the top damper half a turn. Slowly watched the heat come up to 190 in the pit with a beer and a good friend. I turned on my guru and set it for 230. The fan turned on and I closed the bottom damper. Once it hit 230 it stayed there. I let it sit to get comfortable for an hour. Then input the butts cap up on the main grill. Inserted the meat probe length wise through the center. This was at 8 pm. I periodically checked the temp through the night batten fell asleep. Woke up and the guru was still reading 230 pit temp and the meat was at 160 temp. Past the plateau it cooked another 8 hours for a total of 20 hours before I took it off at internal temp of 190. The KK kept the pit temp at perfect 230. No problems or issues.

I let the meat sit in foil and towels for 5 hours before we pulled it and are them. The best pulled pork sandwiches I have ever had. I ate three of them. My friend had four. My girlfriend had two. All agreed best dinner I have ever ad at my house.

Note: after I unplugged my guru. The KK still held a 230 temp for 3 hours. Before it finally started to drop. Shows the amazing craftsmanship which these are built and the cement heat refraction and retention is unlike any other Komodo or smoker I have used. Also noticed the 20 hour cook only used up one quarter of the charcoal. Which means three more cooks left in the basket!! Saving money, time and I know by the time I am old and have my own kids. This KK will just start to be broken in. Worth every penny. I can't wait for my next cook. Ribs this time!

Thank you Dennis for all your help and for your amazing KK

post-1800-0-78813100-1406971336_thumb.jp

post-1800-0-40901000-1406971418_thumb.jp

post-1800-0-31173600-1406971489_thumb.jp

What a beautiful KK!! You really did your homework and sound like a pro your first time out. Can't wait for more notes and pictures of your cooks. And if you have any questions fire away.

Susan

Welcome smokedinthyme!   If you want to share a coco order I will be in Sacto the weekend of October 11th ;)  And I have a like new left side teak shelf just in case you need/want one for a decent price (decided on a cabinet from Dennis after I bought the side shelves) :)

Dan