tquando

BB 32 in Japan

Tom from Tokyo here who took delivery of my new BB 32 one month ago. Yesterday was my first low and slow with a pulled pork. Lot's of learning to do at this point but on the road and definitely looking forward to engaging with folks on this forum! Picture attached.

The results were spectacular (I opted for pulled pork for a more forgiving meat!) but I did have some tricky air flow issues. A full load of charcoal and lit a small amount of coals in the middle. Used BBQ guru and shut down all lower vents to let the fan do its work and 1/2 a turn on the top. Temp range was a bit inconsistent as it overshot but ultimately got the job done.

Now in the morning I moved the defectors and only half of the charcoal where the fan was burned at all. The new guy here would love any advice on setup and starting as I am assuming we want the entire box burning.

Looking forward to chatting

Tom

You don't want the whole basket burning, just enough to get the amount of heat desired. On lo/slo's, it will surprise you as to how little coal you'll burn, as you have seen. It's a new concept, full basket of coal, but only enough lit to give the temp you want. <br />

<br />

<br />

Robert

Welcome! If you have time, post a picture of your BB 32. I love seeing pictures of KK grills in their home environments, and I’m sure others here would be, too.

One question out of curiosity: is it easy or hard to find the same cuts of meat suitable for barbecue in Japan that are available here in the U.S.? I’m Chinese, and I’m relatively sure that in China it’s not hard at all to buy pork at the grocery store, but buying a pork butt might be another issue, since using a whole pork butt doesn’t really come up in any Chinese dish that I’m familiar with. Likewise, there are some Chinese dishes that call for pork ribs, but the ribs are prepared much differently by the butcher than the pork ribs used for baby back ribs.

Thanks for your comments gents!

I thought I attached a picture but it apparently did not get uploaded. Trying again.

Getting good meats in Japan is a bit of a mixed bag. Steaks at selected Tokyo markets (Nissin is my favorite) are fantastic with broad choices from Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada, and of course the Kobe! The larger cuts a a bit more challenging but The Meat Guy (www.themeatguy.com) is my source with a good selection of big cuts for low and slow cooks.

Look forward to interacting with you all as I get my feet on the ground with the BB 32!