mguerra

NHTIOD

Some may remember our discussion before, New Hobby Total Immersion and Obsession Disorder. Crap I got a new one. I am now a licensed Texas Pyrotechnic Display Operator. Here are two links to my last fireworks show, one video has the finale, one does not. The girl shooting the first video thought it was over and turned off the camera right as the finale was about to start. The second video was shot on a cell phone, but includes the finale, starting at 9:35 mark.

I shot this show at a local golf course driving range, the pro there is a buddy of mine and lets me put on shows there. This was my first show to combine consumer with professional product. All the professional product is in the finale.

I shoot both consumer and professional products. What you are referring to are aerial shells. Aerial shells are shot out of mortar tubes. Consumer firework mortar shells are limited to 1.75 inches in diameter. There are two types of consumer mortar products. A single shot tube that consists of a cheap cardboard tube attached to a square flange base with one shell preloaded in it and a fuse sticking out the bottom. You light the fuse, the shell launches into the air and explodes, and then the tube is trash and you throw it away. The other type of product is an aerial shell kit. It consists of one or several reusable mortar tubes and anywhere between 6 to 24 shells. The mortar tubes are made out of cardboard, fiberglass, or high density polyethylene. You drop a shell into the tube, and it has a long fuse which comes out the top of the tube. You light the fuse, the shell launches into the air and explodes, and then you can load another shell and do it again. There is no limit to the size on the professional mortars and shells. People have made enormous shells as big as 48 inches in diameter.These shells and mortars work in the same way, you drop a shell into the mortar tube, a fuse comes out the top, and that fuse is either hand lit with an ignition source or electrically fired remotely. There are many other types of fireworks products aside from mortar shells. Most mortar shells are spherical balls, however they can also be cylindrical in shape or multiple balls fused together.

post-308-0-76695900-1412632918_thumb.jpg

Some consumer shells. The fuse is the green thing wrapped around the shell, you unwrap it, lower the shell in the tube by the fuse. The cylindrical portion on the bottom with the white paper and red letters is the lift charge. It is full of black powder and when it explodes it propels the spherical shell up in the air. Sticking out of the bottom of the shell, into the black powder, is a small piece of time fuse which ignites when the lift charge explodes. As the shell is ascending, the time fuse is burning and when the shell reaches its peak altitude the time fuse gets into the shell and ignites the burst charge. Professional shells work the same way, they are just a hell of a lot bigger!

I shot my hometown Fourth of July fireworks show this year here in Kerrville. I was so busy setting it up and working on it that I was not able to videotape it myself. However someone in town got a video of the finale, not the entire show and put it up on Facebook. Here it is:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1114026595281363&id=100000220996605&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Famy.ely.58%2Fvideos%2F1114026595281363%2F&_rdr

I shot a gender reveal firework show about a week ago for some friends of ours who are having a baby . It was about a 30 minute show but I only put up about the last four minutes of it on YouTube. If I can get some good editing done on the first part of the show I will put that up also.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydo4HMplGJA