GoFrogs91

Tri Tip

I had never eaten a Tri Tip before this year, but have tried my hand at several in the last few months. I came across this marinade recently and have received rave reviews from friends and family after cooking it a couple of times. The original recipe calls for lemon juice, but I substituted lime and like it better.

Grill setup: Main grill indirect at 200-210 degrees F with a red oak chunk to get some smoke.

Tri Tip ready to go on with red oak chunk in the front.

319be76f579ddd868c0e7c9de9592c77.jpg

I lit the fire in the back of the fire box, so the meat isn't getting direct heat. When the KK had stabilized, I added the red oak chunk to the fire and placed the lower and main grills in the cooker and added the meat to the front of the grill. I pulled it off at 110 degrees internal (took about 50 min) and removed the main grill.

2d7d4620fb1973b2da009f5514d170c6.jpg

I opened the vents and let the dragon breathe to 500 F and back onto the lower grill in order to get a char. CAUTION - get some fire resistant gloves for this part or pay the price.

5452206cc1a2022c07ca972467701ddf.jpg

Pulled off at about 130 F to rest.

3553a46a67b623d9a789439f77fb1a05.jpg

Ended up between med rare and med. the marinade and the smoke makes it fantastic.

105d2e372e71cf499c91ed6413cc4c8b.jpg

Ingredients

1 cup lime juice

1 cup soybean oil

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup black pepper

1/2 cup garlic salt (recommended: Lawry's)

1/2 cup chopped garlic

1/2 cup chopped dried onions

2 (4-pound) tri-tips, trimmed

Directions

To make the marinade, mix all of the ingredients except for the beef in a large mixing bowl. Place the trimmed tri-tips in a plastic container and pour the marinade over. Let stand in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.

• Like 4

I had never eaten a Tri Tip before this year, but have tried my hand at several in the last few months. I came across this marinade recently and have received rave reviews from friends and family after cooking it a couple of times. The original recipe calls for lemon juice, but I substituted lime and like it better.
Grill setup: Main grill indirect at 200-210 degrees F with a red oak chunk to get some smoke.
Tri Tip ready to go on with red oak chunk in the front.
319be76f579ddd868c0e7c9de9592c77.jpg
I lit the fire in the back of the fire box, so the meat isn't getting direct heat. When the KK had stabilized, I added the red oak chunk to the fire and placed the lower and main grills in the cooker and added the meat to the front of the grill. I pulled it off at 110 degrees internal (took about 50 min) and removed the main grill.
2d7d4620fb1973b2da009f5514d170c6.jpg
I opened the vents and let the dragon breathe to 500 F and back onto the lower grill in order to get a char. CAUTION - get some fire resistant gloves for this part or pay the price.
5452206cc1a2022c07ca972467701ddf.jpg
Pulled off at about 130 F to rest.
3553a46a67b623d9a789439f77fb1a05.jpg
Ended up between med rare and med. the marinade and the smoke makes it fantastic.
105d2e372e71cf499c91ed6413cc4c8b.jpg
Ingredients
1 cup lime juice
1 cup soybean oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup black pepper
1/2 cup garlic salt (recommended: Lawry's)
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped dried onions
2 (4-pound) tri-tips, trimmed
Directions
To make the marinade, mix all of the ingredients except for the beef in a large mixing bowl. Place the trimmed tri-tips in a plastic container and pour the marinade over. Let stand in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.

Nice marinade will have to try it your cook looks terrific

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

I tried the ammonia in a plastic bag trick to clean my grate and had it laying in the driveway. I forgot it was out there and backed over it! And by the way, that ammonia thing didn't do jack, even after 4 or 5 days in the bag. I never clean my grates, just thought I would try it for something to do. I'm never trying to clean them again. Just a quick scrape with grill floss now and then, that's it.

• Like 4

Did someone say "tri-tip"?!   Michael, your tri-tip looks deelish!

All right I guess this is a little sacrilege in here :D ... but last week I cooked a 100% grass fed and grass finished local tri-tip.   If you're like me you be saying:   'Oh I bet that was one 'big jaw workout' :D.    Which is the reason I decided to try the 6-hour at 130ºF cook ala sous vide.   Salt, pepper and 1/2c BBQ sauce in the vac bag ... and g-damn if it didn't turn out tender, perfectly done and delicious.   Worth doing again.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mguerra said:

I tried the ammonia in a plastic bag trick to clean my grate and had it laying in the driveway. I forgot it was out there and backed over it! And by the way, that ammonia thing didn't do jack, even after 4 or 5 days in the bag. I never clean my grates, just thought I would try it for something to do. I'm never trying to clean them again. Just a quick scrape with grill floss now and then, that's it.

I was going to ask if adult beverages were involved, as is typical in such stories?? :-D

I'm in Doc's camp for my grates - nothing but grill floss. I will soak the rotisserie basket in PBW, but that's about it. 

Edited by tony b