wilburpan

How do you store your KK grill parts/accessories?

While waiting from my KK 23†to make its way to my house, a thought occurred to me. If I’m grilling something relatively straightforward, like burgers for the kids, I need to figure out what to do with the other stuff that came with my grill that I’m not using at the time. That adds up to two grill grids, the heat deflector, the drip pan, and the baking stone. I am happy that the KK grills come with so much standard equipment, but as the title says, how do you all store the parts that come with your KK grill?

I also know that when the grill is not in use, I can store a lot of that stuff in the grill itself, but knowing myself, unloading the grill every time I want to use it would get old fast. I’d rather have a dedicated storage system of some sort.

I know there’s the hook that you can attach to the side of the KK grill to hang the grids that you aren’t using, but in my case I ordered the two side tables, so that’s probably not a realistic option. And in any case, that still leaves the heat deflector, drip pan, and baking stone. 

Any suggestions, especially pictures of what you all do would be greatly appreciated. I’m reasonably adept at woodworking, so building a storage rack of some sort is a possibility, but I could use design ideas.

If you can build something yourself there are lots of possibilities. Dennis sells a storage cabinet with a dedicated place for each of the grills and the accessories. Some of our members have made their own as well and maybe if they see this they would be kind enough to post their pictures. They should already be on this forum somewhere along with the schematic of Denis' storage cabinet. Some people say their gas grills provide great storage for their Kamado accessories. For myself, I keep the grills, extra charcoal basket, various heat deflectors, stones, rotisseries baskets, racks, torches, ash shovel, grill floss and brushes, grilling utensils, gloves and other numerous misc KK items in a large covered, plastic deck box. Its not particularly attractive but its wide enough and tall enough to hold the grills standing up along with everything else, I can empty it out periodically and hose it down and its only a step or two away from my KK.

Note: I went looking for some threads from our previous forum re storage and they are not coming up or are 404 page not found so they aren't all here. But I did find this one showing Denis' specs and Tucker's cart.    http://komodokamado.com/forum/topic/1895-outdoor-cabinetscarts/?hl=storage

• Like 1

Originally, about a year ago now, I started with "just" the 23" KK and two side shelves.  But shortly after taking delivery and using it I realized I should have also ordered one of Dennis' teak side tables and subsequently placed the order.  No regrets...other than maybe it would have been even better with two side tables :D

I also use a small 2x4" "Lifetime" plastic table to set the various SS grates.  But the teak cabinet stores the heat deflectors, pizza stone, smoking wood, 'coal baskets, etc.  The drawers are also super handy for gloves, utensils, etc.  

post-1238-0-31938100-1412089296_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Other than the pizza stone, which is stored inside the house, everything else is outside by the KK. I have a tiled-top, wrought iron table that has hooks on the end for spatulas, tongs, grill floss, etc. I generally stash the extra grills, baskets, and my charcoal chimney at one end. Their is an underneath shelf for 3 large rubbermaid tubs, which hold the deflector, smoking woods (Large chunks) and my charcoal. Like Susan, I also have one of those large blue/white plastic deck boxes where I keep smoking woods (boxes of smaller pieces), rib racks, gloves, guru, etc. All are in very close proximity to the KK. 

• Like 1

Wilbur,

Here is a picture of a storage area in my outdoor kitchen. These shelves have the teak shelves, heat deflector, upper grill, drip pan, basket splitter, and new baking stone sitting on them as well as two removable shelves from a Broil King Keg. I keep the lower and main grill in the cooker. The teak shelves are stored when not in use so they don't gray.

7e0859ceacac591fca8b4d316b415205.jpg

• Like 1

I have wrestled with this problem for several years now. The affordable solution is the plastic deck storage box and it is not very attractive, as Susan said. From my perspective, the most attractive solution would be a custom-made stainless steel cabinet. check the Internet for a company called Lasertron. They can make anything you want however you want it and you will freaking pay for it. During a cook you are going to take scorching hot filthy greasy grills heat deflector stones and so on and want to put them somewhere and because of that I do not feel like wood is a good alternative for this application. But it is true that Dennis did make a really beautiful one and people do use them so I guess they can work. If money is no object, call Lasertron.

A whole bunch of years ago we bought a metal baker's rack to grow houseplants on.  The plants died and we put it in the yard and it collected pots, gloves, fertilizer--you name it.  When I got my KK, I turned the rack 90 degrees and it sits next to my smoker.  I can put the hot grates on it and it doesn't look so bad.  It's not a work of art either.  Ok, it's pretty ugly.  I can't afford a Dennis table quite yet.

Doc, you've been away for a while. Most of us have solved the infamous photo upload problem.

First, make sure that the picture size is under like 2MB. Second, don't try it with Internet Explorer, use Chrome or Foxfire, they are more compatible with the Forum software.

At least these seem to have fixed the problems that Susan and I were having. YMMV.