DennisLinkletter

New Upper Grill Photos

Looking better...

2 comments...

Still would prefer to have the grates run North-South vs East-West. I do understand this would be more difficult to manufacture.

Instead of the legs that simply sit on top of the botom grill. Could you maybe do something with the side handles, extend them and somehow make them interlocking ith the upper grill. So all of the main grill surface is available. I would guess it's less parts too.

Re: Looking better...

2 comments...

Still would prefer to have the grates run North-South vs East-West. I do understand this would be more difficult to manufacture.

Instead of the legs that simply sit on top of the botom grill. Could you maybe do something with the side handles, extend them and somehow make them interlocking ith the upper grill. So all of the main grill surface is available. I would guess it's less parts too.

FYI, the fixed leg version I requested in my post above would accomplish part of your request - more grill space under upper grill. I believe Dennis might be making both versions (might depend on what folks want, so voice it). However shipping the fixed leg would create a much bulkier package; unless the legs were made removable (similar to the meat hangers mount).

-=Jasen=-

I can see the benefits of the folding legs, but I agree that I think a fixed leg is preferrable. Maybe something as simple as a set screw could accomplish both?

Having the legs on the perimiter of the grill is far more important, as it allows use of the grill underneath. With smaller items, Im sure you could work around the areas where the legs sit, but with larger items, that could be quite difficult

Inverted upper used as a very lower Sear grill...

How about a picture with it sitting on the lower bracket as a sear grill too (flipped maybe?)? :wink:

-=Jasen=-

I'm going to make the handle a little longer so it's a bit more stable inverted like this...

UpperInvert.jpg

Now that will be hot as hell down there... Use your welding gloves..

:lol::lol:

SWEEEEEEEET!!

That looks great dude! You mention making the handles longer (wider?); is the grill sitting on the handle against the firebox or is it resting on the supports extending from the charcoal basket? I was going to suggest making the grill handles a little shorter (or angled in slightly more) and let the rack sit on the charcoal basket supports if it already was not doing so.

-=Jasen=-

Re: SWEEEEEEEET-ER STILL

is the grill sitting on the handle against the firebox or is it resting on the supports extending from the charcoal basket? -=Jasen=-

The grill is sitting on the firebox.. but not much higher than the new charcoal baskets 5" supports.. It feels very solid there..

Re: Pizza Stone and this design

I know many have prescribed baking pizza with the stone on the upper grill. Will this design work in that regard? Will it be stable enough balanced on the small handles?

My opinion only, since I have not tried it; but I would think it would burn the bottom long before the cheese melted. Most people want the pizza as close to the dome as possible so you get the most reflected heat and the pizza gets cooked more evenly.

-=Jasen=-

Re: SWEEEEEEEET-ER STILL

is the grill sitting on the handle against the firebox or is it resting on the supports extending from the charcoal basket? -=Jasen=-

The grill is sitting on the firebox.. but not much higher than the new charcoal baskets 5" supports.. It feels very solid there..

Since it is so close to the supports extending from the charcoal basket, would it not be better to go ahead and raise the supports a tiny bit or shorten the handle (or bend them in a tiny bit) on the grill grate? That way you get the advantage of having the larger support.

-=Jasen=-