amir

Greetings from Boston

Got the 23" just late last week.  Been raining like crazy recently but had a good few nice days to fire up the grill.  We call it the "monstah" since we live close to Boston :) 

Here's a pic from the first cook - filet mignon of course.  Rave reviews from my harshest critics - the children.  Have since done grilled salmon, smoked salmon candy, chicken and burgers as well.

So far, been using Royal Oak and Wicked Good Jake's Blend (local here) for the cooks.  Am trying out Rockwood and Dragon Breath charcoal soon as well.

Will post more as I gain more experience.  So far, learned that gotta burn off the volatiles from the charcoal before starting the cook.  For Royal Oak, it takes about 15-20 minutes (which is as long as it takes to get the "monstah" heat soaked and up to temp anyway).

Using paraffin block (1/2 of one) to light it and works every time.  

post-1833-0-71257400-1414030049_thumb.jp

Welcome! You're gonna have so much fun you won't be able to stand it!

Big Fan of the Wicked Good charcoal. Weekend Warrior is all I can get around here, but it's one of my "go to's." Use Royal Oak lump, too, since it's cheap and plentiful around here. Not the best, but does the job.

If you are looking for a good resource about charcoal, check out the Naked Whiz's database.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Welcome to the forum.. Great first cook.  Been a long time since I've cooked steaks on the main..  that being said I'm now more interested in browning steaks than making grill marks so higher is better for that.. I'm using the lower not the upper turned over.

Much hotter down below but you still got great grate marks...

Great Grate  LOL

Thanks Dennis.  

Tony b, thanks.  I have read all the charcoal reviews on nakedwhiz - many of them are older though.

The Wicked Good charcoal Jake's blend is relatively new.  It's quite dense so harder to light.  It has a nice aroma and gives off very little smoke (the off gas in the first 30 min of being lit).  I used it for low and slow twice now and worked out well.  Will chime in with more info as I cook more.