mguerra

A Turkey Option

I tried a Butterball turkey roast, out of curiosity. It is a mix of dark and light meat tied together with a string net. It was great! All meat, no skin nor bones, the whole thing cooks at the same rate, and cooks quickly. The surface to mass area is nicely proportioned so you get good smoke coverage. It is injected with a 12% solution, not natural, and I actually liked the result of that. When it is done, you just slice the whole thing up easy peasey. Would you serve it at a family gathering? Some of you would never do that, but I would! My sister will deep fry a bird for our big family blow out, and I will supplement with a couple of these babies. It is an EASY way to have some turkey any time of year, quick and tasty. Try one to see how you might fit it in to your armamentarium of cooks. And I smoked the hell out of it with mesquite, another typical poultry no-no. We will be having these often. And you can throw it straight on the KK frozen hard as a rock.

• Like 1

Hey Doc - thanks for a great review. I've cooked these roasts from time to time and you're spot on ... they're actually pretty goo! They serve turkey roasts at the various military academies and the cadets eat 'em up! Of course, those chow hounds eat everything but the placemats, but my son sure liked 'em at the USNA. Never thought about trying them on the KK. I think I'll give it a try! Thanks!

I think it ran from about 225 to 300 whilst cooking. I had an indirect pork shoulder on at the same time. I'm pretty sure it cooked in less than two hours from frozen. I went out after about an hour to stick the temp probe in, giving some time to thaw/ cook. I had it high up in the dome above the pork since I knew it would get through first. 165 internal was my finish temp.

Doc, after reading your original post, I tried these out. Out of curiosity, I got one breast only and one of the light and dark meat versions. I put them both on right out of the freezer. Smoked at 225 for an hour and increased to 325 to finish. Took about 3 hours total to 165.

I wasn't a fan of the mixed meat. I didn't like the looks. I'm not timid in what I eat, but I just thought this looked unappetizing. Made sandwiches out of the all white and they were great. I just smoked another one yesterday and pulled it (shredded) to go in another recipe. I haven't decided what yet. Maybe enchiladas.

I definitely recommend having one of these in the freezer.

I'm on a mission! I've looked all over OKC and I can't find these dadgummed turkey roasts. I've cooked these before, but not lately and not inOKC. I've gotta find a turkey roast! I've asked every butcher in every market I frequent and no turkey roasts. I will not be deterred! I'm finding a turkey roast if I have to fly to Houston!

Frogs - I found the turkey roasts! Out of desperation I tried a small specialty grocery and there they were right in the freezer case! I'd be cooking one right now but for the fact that I've got two 20# turkeys in the belly of The Beast right now. Out big Thanksgiving blowout at church is tomorrow and I offered to cook turkeys.

So, after searching like a mad man I found the roasts and once again, I can sleep! LOL!

And if you can't find them, or are looking for something a bit more off the beaten path -  there's always Turducken!

http://www.nolacajun.com/fresh-foods/turduckens

Or go boneless -

http://www.nolacajun.com/fresh-foods/turducken-rolls

Tony - I LOVE turducken! I used to live in NOLA and I have eaten turducken about 5-6 times during the holidays. I think that would be an interesting cook on The Beast!

Thanks for the pointers!

Have to be honest, I've never bought from this company, so can't vouch for quality. Just stumbled across them in Amazon.

I have bought product from these folks, mostly boudin and andouille, but their turducken seems to get good reviews.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/fresh-foods-holiday-dishes-turducken-c-1_15_24.html?limit=all

• Like 1

Frogs - I found the turkey roasts! Out of desperation I tried a small specialty grocery and there they were right in the freezer case! I'd be cooking one right now but for the fact that I've got two 20# turkeys in the belly of The Beast right now. Out big Thanksgiving blowout at church is tomorrow and I offered to cook turkeys.

So, after searching like a mad man I found the roasts and once again, I can sleep! LOL!

Great to hear the quest was successful. Sounds like me with good beef ribs. Kind of like looking for Bigfoot

• Like 1

Tony - when I was down in NOLA some years ago, I bought sausages and a turducken from them. Very good. I've got to smoke a medium sized turkey to take to SWMBO's Mother's house this coming Thursday. I'm thinking turducken instead. Thanks for jogging my memory! If I do this, I'll post the smoke in the appropriate forum. Tony, you da man! Thanks!