tinyfish

Looking to become the proud new KK owner.

Hello all

I started the journey to becoming a KK owner. The more I research the more I want a KK. I'm now looking for what will be my color of choice. I think I have it narrowed down to a speckled black or mixed marine blue(not sure if thats the name). Choosing a color is proving to be difficult, any advice.

That all for now, hopefully I can post soon that my KK's on route to Toronto.

@5698k you gave some advice on another fourm, thank you.

I've decided on the 23" and I do have a significant other my wife. Just waiting for the best time to break the news to her about getting the KK. Once she stops throwing her slippers at me then I'll ask her for her color opinion. I hope shes wearing her soft comfy slippers.LOL.

• Like 3

tinyfish - how ya doing, Buddy? Good to have you here!

Like Rob said above, what size? What will be the majority of the kind of cooks do you want to do your new KK? How many people do you generally cook for? How many times per week will you be cooking?

Another bit of the calculus is accessories. I went whole hog and got just about everything for my 32" KK BB except the rotisserie. I got the teak side tables, grill grabbers, heat deflectors (there are 2 types), baking stone, basket splitter, Sunbrella cover, etc. I'm happy with each one and would purchase all of them again.

I'd really urge you to call Dennis Linkletter and talk to him. There is absolutely no pressure; he knows his KK line sells itself. Understand that buying a KK is an investment in not only the KK, but in yourself! Your kids will be fighting over your KK after you begging to assume room temperature.

Talking with Dennis will help you clarify your thought process. Call him. He's the single most knowledgable kamado guy I've ever spoken with. Tell him I said hello!

@CeramicChef thank you for comments. I will go with the 23" should be the perfect addition to my growing collection of kamado's.

I have spoken to Dennis a couple of times now, very nice person. I always seem to come up with more questions, so I'm sure we'll be talking a few more times yet.

@CeramicChef thank you for comments. I will go with the 23" should be the perfect addition to my growing collection of kamado's.

I have spoken to Dennis a couple of times now, very nice person. I always seem to come up with more questions, so I'm sure we'll be talking a few more times yet.

tinyfish - I've found that the more I improved my cookers by purchasing a more upscale product, the less and less I used what had already been on my patio! After my KK BB 32, TheBeast, landed in OKC, within a couple of weeks, I got rid of every other cooker out there. I dumped a really nice Primo and my Weber Kettle. Now I'm finalizing plans with Dennis for a 19" High Cap to join TheBeast ... he's lonely out there all by himself!

As for several calls to Dennis, I think he understands it all part of his customer's purchase decision. Heck, I know it was that way with me and a couple of other guys here who love their KKs. The thing I like about Dennis is that he never is in a rush and will talk as long as you've got questions. Frankly, Dennis is THE reason I originally bought TheBeast. I knew he and his product were top shelf. I want quality in my life. Dennis is a quality individual and the KK reflects his deeply held principles.

Like the ads says, "Just Do It!"

I'd second CC's suggestions to get the Sunbrella cover, (especially important for those of us that live in the colder regions of the planet!) and the baking/pizza stone.  

Get the basket splitter with a second charcoal basket. You will use it more than you think, especially if there are only 2 of you to cook for. Plus, it's crazy efficient for getting screaming hot fires going to sear steaks. The 2nd basket lets you easily swap back and forth between the 2 configurations.

If memory serves correctly, you can also pack about 15 boxes of Dennis' Coconut Charcoal (CocoChar) onto the pallet with your 23" KK. An absolute "MUST!" 

Since you're going to have to suffer the consequences of the significant other's slippers, you should load up on all the accessories that you think you'd ever want, so you only have to take the beating once!

• Like 1

Not a single moment of buyer's remorse!

You'll be like a 5 year old 2 weeks before Christmas; so excited that you think you're going to explode and the time will drag until it arrives, and when it does, you'll want to rip into the package with both hands to get to your new toy!

• Like 1

It is well worth it but i can second some of the comments about the accessories that are worth while getting.

The Pizza stone if you like pizza or bread just makes the whole unit an amazing pizza oven.  (Friends rate ours with the best they have had anywhere in the world :) )

The side tables are just great if you dont have it built in.

The charcoal splitter, if you are thinking of this then get the second basket as having to move the un-burnt coal around to try to fit it in when you just want to do a half basket is very messy and a pain.  (I still have one basket and it is what i have to do)

and the covers are great.  Just make sure you tell Dennis to leave enough room for the side tables :)

Do it and have fun and many great cooks

• Like 1

Like the ads says, "Just Do It!"

I'd second CC's suggestions to get the Sunbrella cover, (especially important for those of us that live in the colder regions of the planet!) and the baking/pizza stone.

Get the basket splitter with a second charcoal basket. You will use it more than you think, especially if there are only 2 of you to cook for. Plus, it's crazy efficient for getting screaming hot fires going to sear steaks. The 2nd basket lets you easily swap back and forth between the 2 configurations.

If memory serves correctly, you can also pack about 15 boxes of Dennis' Coconut Charcoal (CocoChar) onto the pallet with your 23" KK. An absolute "MUST!"

Since you're going to have to suffer the consequences of the significant other's slippers, you should load up on all the accessories that you think you'd ever want, so you only have to take the beating once!

Good call on the basket splitter. It is an absolute must. I use it 75% of the time and it makes direct to indirect and reverse searing a breeze.

• Like 1

I dont use the Indirect stone any more.  If i want to do indirect i normally put what ever i am cooking on the main rack and just a sheet of foil on the lower rack.

This makes it indirect and the KK dosnt really need a whole bunch more thermal mas to heat up.  I do it this way for my smoking as well as grilling.  If i am doing something that is just for me and my Wife (Very really happens) then i will put the splitter in and use one side for the indirect and then slide what ever i am cooking over to the direct for the finishing.