tinyfish

Looking to become the proud new KK owner.

I never use my deflector stone anymore. I mostly use the drip pan (I have the old round style) or like others have mentioned, aluminum foil, especially if I only want to cover half the grate to be able to do both direct and indirect cooking. 

I think that the basket splitter is most useful for doing seriously high temp searing. Like Dennis points out, using the half basket forces all the air through the side with the charcoal, which "turbocharges" it. Even if you're doing a bunch of steaks (not just a couple), it still makes sense, because even if you have to break the cook into smaller batches to sear first, you're still ahead when it comes to how much charcoal you burn through (vice a whole basket raging at 900F) and you aren't really extending the cooking time all that much, since you're only going to sear each steak for 3 - 4 minutes total before setting them off to the side to roast to desired doneness. 

SWMBOI got to pick the color of the new 19" High Cap we just ordered. Harvest Gold Pebble if I remember correctly. She kept asking me why I wanted another KK seeing as how I already have TheBeast sitting on the patio. When I told her this new KK was hers, she gave a little chirp, asked if she got to pick the color, and never asked another question except "When does it arrive?". Next Monday, Darling.

Frog - trust me, I'll bomb this place with pictures and comments.  Take a look at my thread on the unveiling if TheBeast for a preview of the kind of stuff you'll be subjected to in a few days!  LOL!!  

If Dennis packs these "smaller" units like he packed TheBeast, it's an all day job!

I find it interesting that Beauty! at 19" is considered "smaller", especially when you see that the standard BGE, KJ, Akorn, etc is an 18.25" grate!  In fact, in another Forum to which I belong, they have a thread for Small and Mini Kamado cooks.  So I asked if because Beauty was a 19" and significantly smaller than TheBeast at 32"and because it came with a nest or could sit on a table top, if I could post cooks on her in the Small and Mini area.  NO. HELL NO!  All of a sudden up pops all sorts of opposition!  Beauty! is considered a full sized kamado!  WOW!  Even the smallest KK that Dennis makes, the 16.5" Table Top is considered too dadgummed big for that category!  LOL!!!!!  The biggest allowed in that category is a 14" grate diameter.  

Ahhhh well, at least I'll be the PROUD owner of 2 Komodo Kamados!  How many can say that?  

Hell, at this rate, I should get a thank-you card from Dennis' son every semester he goes to college!  I'm paying his tuition!  LOL!!

• Like 1

Even the smallest KK that Dennis makes, the 16.5" Table Top is considered too dadgummed big for that category! LOL!!!!! The biggest allowed in that category is a 14" grate diameter.

Well I don't/didn't agree with that arbitrary decision on a 14" grate.

I do think the 19" high top is too big to be considered a Jr sized kamado considering how big it is relative to most standard sized kamados on the market but ............

I consider the KK 16.5" to be a Super Jr. If I get one (very likely for my family of 3) I know where I am going to post on that other forum. If nobody likes it they can just throw a fit and be a hater, I don't care.

Besides the 16.5" may not exactly be portable due to it's weight but it's small enough to be transportable. I'll put it and a small stand in the back of my SUV and take it on vacation to my sisters house in FL. Yup transportable and more than capable of feeding a small group of people.

• Like 2

Well I don't/didn't agree with that arbitrary decision on a 14" grate.

I do think the 19" high top is too big to be considered a Jr sized kamado considering how big it is relative to most standard sized kamados on the market but ............

I consider the KK 16.5" to be a Super Jr. If I get one (very likely for my family of 3) I know where I am going to post on that other forum. If nobody likes it they can just throw a fit and be a hater, I don't care.

Besides the 16.5" may not exactly be portable due to it's weight but it's small enough to be transportable. I'll put it and a small stand in the back of my SUV and take it on vacation to my sisters house in FL. Yup transportable and more than capable of feeding a small group of people.

ckreef - that's the spirit! You tell 'em! I like your style. I'd love to see your Better Half get her teeth in their backside and shake 'em like a starving pit bull with a juicy one! LOL!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to you getting the 16.5" and watching you cook! That will be some kind of fun!

• Like 1