rorkin

Use of Guru ??

I have a BBQ Guru and so far have not used the fan with the Komodo.

How are most of you using it ? I have trouble keeping the temp at the lower range even with the bottom door closed ant the top damper at 1/4 turn. I guess I could see the fan being useful for higher temperatures and minimal charcoal. Would appreciate any user experience.

Thanks

Rory

The top damper being open that much is probably a great deal of the problem keeping it low. The trick to a Guru is to make it do all the work. Close your grill off tight everywhere and just allow for the smallest crack in the top damper to exhaust the smoke. With my old grill, as soon as the top hat came off the seat, that was good for 150-250 easy with the Guru.

-=Jasen=-

When I leave the top damper nearly closed (just cracked) and the Guru fan is running, I get venting through every orifice including the lower draft door. Should the top be opened enough to allow that to go out the top? If air is escaping through the lower draft door, it's not affecting the fire at all and it's evacuating hot humid air and replacing it with outside air.

Is this standard? BTW I have the guru damper between 1/4 - 1/2 open, so I'm not blasting it with 10CFM.

When I leave the top damper nearly closed (just cracked) and the Guru fan is running, I get venting through every orifice including the lower draft door. Should the top be opened enough to allow that to go out the top? If air is escaping through the lower draft door, it's not affecting the fire at all and it's evacuating hot humid air and replacing it with outside air.

Is this standard? BTW I have the guru damper between 1/4 - 1/2 open, so I'm not blasting it with 10CFM.

Your gonna get air flow exiting from every location it can as it is pressurizing the KK. That is good, that means it is not free flowing out anywhere greater than the Guru is inputting; so it should be controlling well (let the Guru do the work). I am sure it would probably be more efficient if the Guru fan blew directly on the fire, but after you taste your results; you'll find that the tiny bit more efficiency was probably not worth anything (and it would probably blow ashes everywhere too).

The airflow door on the Guru is a manual proportional band adjustment. Basically that means how quick it will control but also how much it will overshoot the setup point (like wave dampening above and below the setpoint or deadband range). So smaller proportional band (Guru door closer to closed) the tighter the dampening around the setpoint, but slower response and larger proportional band (guru door open) the faster it will respond, but larger amount of over/under shoot. So you find your balance between the two (is it better to keep temp more accurate or get it there faster?).

On my Guru (ProComm), there is an additional electronic proportional control in the advance menu setup. So I open the Guru door about 3/4 for faster response, but dampen it down by using the electronic proportional band.

Hope that helped a little.

-=Jasen=-

FYI, anyone familiar with the PB terms, note; I reversed there usage to make it less confusing, the point is still the same.

FYI, anyone familiar with the PB terms, note; I reversed there usage to make it less confusing, the point is still the same.

Yeah, I just wanted you to know I was gonna bust ya on that if Gerard hadn't already nailed ya (Gerard, if you got any idea what he meant about the Peanut Butter terms, PM me).