tlinder

Pork breast

Hmmmm - Pork Boobies??

Can't say I have ever heard of that either. Last time I seen any pork boobies, they were hanging under the pig! :shock: Heheh - I also don't see anything close on this pork cut chart. If I am not mistaken, when they cut a whole ham from the front of a hog (lower section being a picnic and upper section being a boston butt) they cut pretty much to the center of the breast area and take half with each quarter. So I am wondering if he is gonna get something close to what we call a fresh picnic. Please take us some fresh and cooked pics Tobias!

-=Jasen=-

chartporkji7.gif

Re: Hmmmm - Pork Boobies??

Can't say I have ever heard of that either. Last time I seen any pork boobies' date=' they were hanging under the pig! :shock: Heheh - I also don't see anything close on this pork cut chart. If I am not mistaken, when they cut a whole ham from the front of a hog (lower section being a picnic and upper section being a boston butt) they cut pretty much to the center of the breast area and take half with each quarter. So I am wondering if he is gonna get something close to what we call a fresh picnic. Please take us some fresh and cooked pics Tobias![/quote']

I sure will. Pork breast must be a Swiss meat cut. I will try it with low and slow. Thank you for your input!

Seems it's a new yuppie cut: http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/hotnewcuts/porkbreast.aspx

Best advice I could give is to post your question on the PrimoGrill Forum :http://www.hwforums.com/2016/index.html in the hope that Ask-A-Butcher (who regularly hangs out there and also has his own website- guess you could google it and ask there) answers it. Thought I knew a lot about meat until I started seeing some of his posts.

Found this link...one of the 4 new cuts of Pork

http://www.agrinewspubs.com/Main.asp?Se ... leID=10372

The pork breast is being positioned similar in uses to the chicken breast.

“We’re positioning that as similar to the chicken breast as being very versatile in all the things you can do with chicken breast,â€

check out the pic closely guys! this is a pork BRISKET FLAT! who'da thunk it?? i submit the following as an "experimental application" for preparing this. i'll try it if i can find them around here, but haven't seen them yet:

1) brine with favorite brine overnite

2) rinse and rub down (reduce the salt to compensate for the brine)

3) cover with bacon on the top

4) set up for indirect with drip pan

5) low and slow with hickory 4-5 hours (think rib times)

6) slice like brisket

i bet the smoke ring on this will be really neat looking. also, you might be able to skip the bacon since its brined. if somebody tries something like this before i'm able to test it, let us know... they are pretty small compared to brisket, so i'd watch the time.

check out the pic closely guys! this is a pork BRISKET FLAT! who'da thunk it?? i submit the following as an "experimental application" for preparing this. i'll try it if i can find them around here, but haven't seen them yet:

I just got it from the butcher and it could really be a flat brisket.

Dear Porkchop. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will try it exactly your experimental application. The last time I did it the oven at very low temperature for 6 hours. It was very tasty but still very fatty. I will put it on the grill tomorow morning and publish pictures of the result in the evening.

porkbreast.jpg

HOLD ON TOBIAS!!!

i think there is a little "communication breakdown" going on; between a very slight language barrier and the different ways americans and europeans cut up pigs, we may be confusing some terms.

if that is an actual picture of what you got from your butcher, IT IS NOT WHAT WE CALL "PORK BREAST". what you have there is PORK BELLY; we cold smoke this and slice from the top to make BACON. please compare the picture you submitted to the picture at the following link: http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/hotnewcuts/porkbreast.aspx notice how lean this looks in comparison to what you have there? the "pork breast" comes from inside the picnic shoulder; your belly comes, literally, from the pigs underbelly, just behind the spare ribs. see the chart above and then look at this detail:

baconchart.gif

i don't know how you would cook pork belly; i have no experience. a cure and cold smoke would be best, but i've never done that before. good luck!

here's a link to "makin' bacon" :shock:http://www.3men.com/bacon_making.htm

Re: HOLD ON TOBIAS!!!

i think there is a little "communication breakdown" going on; between a very slight language barrier and the different ways americans and europeans cut up pigs' date=' we may be confusing some terms.[/quote']

Yes, it's really difficult with this different cuts. I have it now allready in the brine and will give it a try anyway with smoking for about 8 hours but try to keep the temperature as low as possible in the KK. In case of E... I have another piece of meat in the pipeline for the guests.

no way! if we didn't experiment with things we are unfamiliar with, we wouldn't learn as much. i sincerely wish you good luck and look forward to your report of the results. just because others have done it one way doesn't mean you cant try something new. who knows what you'll find out!

so good luck! :D

Yup, it's a pork belly. Bacon in the raw. :) They sell that at the local Chinese grocery. I've been able to use the meat for seasoning, but it's very very very fatty. But I guess that's obvious.

I'm interested in what it comes out to be for you, Tobias. Can't imagine anything that would render that much fat out of it to make it edible in the ordinary western sense. Let us know!