ckreef

Burn Experiment Using Extruded Coconut Charcoal

I've been doing a series of lump experiments to see how many cooks I can get out of a full firebox of lump. Although done on a non KK kamado this experiment focuses on the charcoal.

Ceramic Chef being the fine kamado gentleman he is, sent me a box of KK Extruded Coconut Charcoal to test. TY again CC.

I started by breaking up the charcoal into smaller pieces and filled my firebox. This took 21 logs (out of 24), approximately 17.5 lbs.

82ff21426f2abec21f9dbe721eca561c.jpg

I then did a series of separate cooks. I got 13 separate cooks out of that load of charcoal. Here is what was left after the 13 cooks.

233e04ae8a51bc83a477e227f45ecaa5.jpg

I've done this experiment with other brands of lump. This was a very impressive run using the KK Extruded Coconut Charcoal. It burned very consistently and I was beginning to think it would never run out. Very little ash production. It worked equally well for Low-n-slow and for high heat.

Here is a list of the 13 cooks I did along with a couple of the more interesting money shots. A mixture of Low-n-slow, MD heat and high heat cooks. Basically whatever I felt like cooking that day.

1 Pork Sirloin

2 Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie

3 Kung Pao Steak and Shrimp

fa5112e876ed9d5f476ef6006dbc9944.jpg

4 Pork Roast and Stuffed Scallops

5 Chicken Breasts

6 Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs

7 Garlic Lime Street Tacos

1aeaf73376b6788b471ca77b5c7da549.jpg

8 Whole Tilapia w/ Cedar Wrapped Asparagus

47c7c9b082e36ae02d60439112a576ea.jpg

9 French Toast Stuffed w/ Fresh Raspberries

0eaffe078959461fb2040bae565b8982.jpg

10 Raspberry ABT's & BBQ Chops

11 Undecided Pork Loin

12 CI Italian Steak

13 White Castle For Breakfast

Cook 13 is sort of silly but a running joke with wilburpan

After this run there are no doubts in my mind how efficient and easy KK Extruded Coconut Charcoal is. A great product for sure. Get some, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

Nicely done! Ckreef - your cooks on that coconut charcoal amazed me. I knew it lasted a long time, but wow, you got every BTU out of that box and produced some mouth watering cooks in the process.

Kudos and congrats BIG time to you!

TY CC. It was a very interesting experiment. The last few cooks really showed me just how little is needed to get another cook out of it.

I still have 3 logs left. I do have another experiment I want to try with one of them. Maybe in a week or two.

• Like 1

Great contribution ck! You should feel great for adding such an interesting thread to the KK and Guru sites........And everyone loves your cooks. Nice work.

TY GoFrogs91. The entire lump experiment series has been a real eye opener for a lot of people and this part (Extruded Coconut) was a really great phase. I think most people were surprised by how long it lasted.

People fuss too much over lump. Seems when they have a temperature control problem the first thing they want to do is blame the lump.

I think most of their issues is an airflow issue. One of the features I like about the KK design is the charcoal grate basket. The open grate design eliminates airflow issues that the other big 3 (BGE, KJ, Primo) have by design, having a plate with holes for a charcoal grate.

• Like 1

CK - excellent work, thank you for sharing!

One question, where did you typically light the CocoChar on these cooks? Such as, always on the same side eventually working your way across the entire firebox; or did you light the entire thing for a few cooks?

I'm amazed how long they lasted! I usually only add enough lump for what I'm doing. But this may change that, I'll try filling her up next time.

CK - excellent work, thank you for sharing!

One question, where did you typically light the CocoChar on these cooks? Such as, always on the same side eventually working your way across the entire firebox; or did you light the entire thing for a few cooks?

I'm amazed how long they lasted! I usually only add enough lump for what I'm doing. But this may change that, I'll try filling her up next time.

I used a MAPP torch for lighting. Depending on the cook I would light either one or two spots. I would usually pick a spot that had the least unburned charcoal. When picking a spot I also kept in mind that my firebox typically burns left to right.

If using standard lump I would have stired the lump every few cooks to get the ash down in the ash pan area. With the low ash production of the Extruded Coconut Charcoal I did not feel the need to stir it.

Every few cooks I did move some of the charcoal around. Usually taking unburned pieces from the sides to fill in some of the gaps in the middle.

It was the easiest charcoal/lump I've ever used. Light it, cook, close vents to snuff it out.

Light, cook, snuff, repeat. Occasionally move a few pieces around. I could probably burn through 2 to 3 boxes of it before haveing to clean my ash pan area out.

One of the features I like about the KK design is the charcoal grate basket. The open grate design eliminates airflow issues that the other big 3 (BGE, KJ, Primo) have by design, having a plate with holes for a charcoal grate.

I have a baby Grill Dome that also has the infamous ceramic plate with holes in the bottom for the charcoal grate. One of the first things that I did was take that stupid thing out and replace it with an open mesh charcoal grill, trimmed to fit. Immense improvement. Stupid design, as it plugs so easily and kills the airflow!