tinyfish

What did you name your Komodo

Thanks MacK... I wish my backyard were looking better but my grass is beginning to die because of lack of water. Trying to abide by our water conservation rules  due to our on going to drought out here in California. Central and Northern California received a fair amount of rainwater but our mountain snowpack was not nearly enough and we continue to pay the price. ..

:-(

32b57b101b6dd7a2724a6db647f22914.jpgthe only photo I have but already named it Ora I did not shoot for the stars wanted to stay on the ground Varanus komodoensis is the largest extant lizard on Earth and is endemic to several small islands in Indonesia.  The genus name, Varanus is the latinization of the Arabic word "waran" which stands for monitor (Egyptians believed these lizards served as monitors, alerting people to the presence of crocodiles).  Its common names include the "Komodo dragon" (Komodo is one of the islands they are found on), "ora" which means land crocodile in the Mangarrai dialect, and Komodo monitor. So basically Ora loves meat nom nom yum

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

• Like 3

Aloha Kevin you From da island brah? Pele is a great name and great color What part of California are you from? I live in Fremont. Close by any chance? 

I have a BB 32 in about the same color as yours. I know what you mean about the drought my back yard is completely dead so all my pics are of just my patio. I'm ashamed to show the back yard especially after seeing all the great yard pics here in the forum. Thinking about putting in artificial turf. 

3 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Aloha Kevin you From da island brah? Pele is a great name and great color What part of California are you from? I live in Fremont. Close by any chance? 

I have a BB 32 in about the same color as yours. I know what you mean about the drought my back yard is completely dead so all my pics are of just my patio. I'm ashamed to show the back yard especially after seeing all the great yard pics here in the forum. Thinking about putting in artificial turf. 

Aloha Bruce!  Nah brah - Haole...

I live in Southern California roughly 30 miles east of Los Angeles in a city named Chino Hills.  I do on occasion get up in the bay area to visit friends I've got up there and I have a brother that lives in Santa Clara. 

I thought about taking out all of the grass in the front and side of my house and removing a fair portion of the back grass as well but I have not really been able to decide on xeriscape plantings and design.  Up until two years ago my backyard grass was really nice green but after the last two years it's pretty ratty looking and if we have a really hot summer down here, I'm pretty sure it'll finish off the back grass.  

@KevinD - years ago when I lived in Colorado Springs, the big thing was xeriscaping.  Had my whole yard xeriscaped.  It was okay, but I wished I had left the area around the pool grass so that when you got out of the pool you had some place cool to put your feet.  What most folks don't know about xeriscaping is that it still requires a fair amount of maintenance to keep it looking sharp.  

I wish all you good Cali KKers nothing but the best during this drought!  

• Like 1