Rojack

Question for Paul 1927

Hi Rojack,

I replaced both the top vent seal and one of the main body seals. I would say that it was fairly easy. I really don't like working too much or I would say it was simple. The hardest part was just getting the proper supplies. I asked Dennis where/what to buy and he ends up sending me out a roll of 1/2 inch +- gasket seal--FAST. :) I still needed to buy Furnace Cement. Dennis thought this would be available in my area, but I couldn't get it from Home Depot even by special order. I ended up getting a 16 oz tub (plus a spare) of black Rutland Furnace Cement (http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/produc ... t_id=20326). Plus a 25 LB bag of Castable Refractory Cement to satisfy my curiosity (http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/produc ... t_Id=16156). And, as things turned out I didn't even use the the roll of gasket seal that Dennis was considerate enough to supply because I wanted to try the 1 1/4 inch Rope Gasket (it is HUGE) for the top damper (top vent) and the 1 inch tape gasket for the main body (lower, not upper) (http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/produc ... t_Id=16704). The Rope Gasket was huge success and I'm glad I bought it. The Tape Gasket for the main body I'm not so sure about. The reason I'm not so sure about it is that although it worked perfect intially the other gasket (upper, not lower) on the main body started to fail. Anyway, my concern is that 1 inch tape gaskets might be a tad large if I try to install them as upper and lower gaskets for the main body.

Also, I think Dennis has come up with an excellent gasket solution especially for the main body. Essentially, instead of the upper gasket resting on the lower gasket in the closed position the upper and lower gaskets will be side by side when in the closed position.

BTW, I had VERY recently had a serious product failure. The screw and bracket on the top damper failed! I explained what happened via email to Dennis and he was quick with a reply and explanation of what he believed had occurred. Turned out he was dead on the mark. He took full responsibility and sent me out the needed parts--FAST. :) My father told me "This guy is too good to be true!" And, that is how I feel. (Let me add the negative so that everyone doesn't think that I work for Dennis or something crazy like that. First negative is that welding needed to be done and I do NOT like welding at all so now I was dependant on a welder shop. Well, the old man who had done brilliant work for me in the past and treated me like a valuable customer was not around so I had some young guy do the work (same company). The price was expensive, quality questionable, NO guarantee, and bad attitude. Needless to say that welder shop won't have my business in the future. Second, it was very fortunate for me that I had previously bought a 25 LB of Refractory Cement out of curiosity. The job required around 12 LBS, which if you look at what needed to be repaired you might think a pound would do the job. I still can't understand how I was able to use so much cement.) If anyone would like to see the Q that Dennis sold me, then they are more than welcome to visit me (Miami, FL) because I think it is the greatest.

Ceramic Rope Gasket

I will be experimenting with the 1/4 inch Square Braided Rope gasket (hopefully it is not too thick) (http://gasketsinc.thomasnet.com/item/ga ... -23?&seo=1). Perhaps there are better places to purchase this item or better solutions? I plan on black Rutland Furnace Cement and will use an outer seal on the bottom half of the cooker and an inner seal on the top half (like Dennis is now doing). For the top damper the 1 1/4 inch Rope gasket is working perfect so I'll leave that be for the time being. But, ultimately I think the inner/outer seal combination with the 1/4 inch Square Braided (ceramic) Rope gasket is the way to go. This gasket is suppose to withstand tempature of 2300 degrees F so it should easily stand up to my high heat cooking as I only approach 1000 degrees F. I'll also be checking out the Ceramic Woven Tape gasket 1 inch (http://gasketsinc.thomasnet.com/item/ga ... -23?&seo=1). BTW, I've been using my Q almost daily usually for grilling at high temperatures so probably I'm one of the few who might benefit from a ceramic gasket.

Hi Rojack,

Why do you ask? Some time back Mexican Kamado had a sale on Kamado Charcoal and it really arrived in a mess via Conway. Seemed like Conway really went out of their way to abuse the charcoal. Anyway, I like it for slow cooking, but for high temp grilling I use primarily Lychee wood from my backyard or Avocado wood.

I used to sell Coconut Charcoal for Mexi-K it is great for low and slows but has no value for high temp or normal cooks. You will only get two to three cooks out of a box of Coconut Charcoal if you use it for normal cooks and there is really no benefit. The real benefit of the coconut charcoal is that it will last for over 24 hours (full box) at very low temps with little or no messing with it. As for the white stuff it has never caused any problems or concerns. If you wish to learn more or want to buy it direct you can go to the actual supplier which is at this link. http://www.anteromas.com/charcoalbriquettes.html If anyone is interested in ordering a container maybe we could get a group together and order one. We could sell some and use some. Anyone interested please let me know and we can start researching the particulars.

Tony

I used to sell Coconut Charcoal for Mexi-K it is great for low and slows but has no value for high temp or normal cooks. You will only get two to three cooks out of a box of Coconut Charcoal if you use it for normal cooks and there is really no benefit. . . . Anyone interested please let me know and we can start researching the particulars.

Tony

I've been using the Coconut Charcoal and the last half to third of a box has given me 4 cooks (ribs slow cooked at between 200 and 250 degrees F) averaging about 4 hours per cook. I was even thinking of trying to go for a 5th cook! ;) The way the Komodo retains heat *after* the fire is out I wouldn't be suprised if a skilled person could do 8 to 10 cooks on the amount of Coconut Charcoal that I used. Part of the reason that I think that I'm able to get so many cooks is that when I cut the airflow the seals are really airtight now (that did take some work trying to copy Dennis's new side by side seal that should work perfect, but didn't work for me; I ended up adding another seal to the side by side configuration) and the fire is killed quick. Another reason maybe that the Coconut Charcoal is old and arrived in bad shape---Damn that Conway.

I would be very interested in buying more if there was a significant cost savings to buying a container (but, currently I have a large number of unused boxes) because usually I'd rather overbuy and get wholesale prices. The key is how much of a unit savings is there compared to buying retail.

Paul

As I stated this is great for low and slow cooks (less than 350 degrees). I have had some interest in ordering a container (and some for less). I know we could obviously get the charcoal for less than what Richard is selling it for but it would help to have some people who have storage space, shipping contacts, port experience etc. to help in this transaction. Once we know the ropes we can surely help ourselves and pass this on to other K'ers. Anyone interested in just investing is welcome to give their $.02 also. Send me a PM and we can trade info. Thanks, Tony

would help to have some people who have storage space' date=' shipping contacts, port experience etc. to help in this transaction. Once we know the ropes we can surely help ourselves and pass this on to other K'ers. Thanks, Tony[/quote']

Hi Tony,

I live in the Miami, Florida. My neighbor is in the business of shipping consumer goods to Haiti and sometimes he brings goods into the country. Assuming Miami would be a good port, which being on the east coast it is probably NOT, then I'm sure he would be a big help. It seems like storage and transportation would quickly eat up the savings, but who know perhaps the wholesale price of the Coconut Charcoal is shocking low.

A buddy of mine has a large pool supply company that is ideally located across from a relatively isolated upscale community (Miami Springs) and I feel strongly that he could sell Dennis's Qs thru his storefront. Unfortunately, he just wants to sell his business and isn't looking at getting into new lines. Given the way he spends money, I think his business probably does fairly well. :)

Paul