leeherd

Smoking with exotic woods

Decided to drill the forum here for some info.

I have a growing collection of wood scraps building up in my shop. I have managed to go through most of the oak, cherry and maple this summer using them as smoking supplements for the KK.

I am getting down to ths scraps of more or less tropical exotics, rosewoods, bubinga, zebrawood...

Has anyone seen or heard of a link that can give me an idea of which woods could create grill or health problems.

Thanx

I know most woods have issues when they are being turned to dust. The rosewoods especially are sensitizers that can create bad reactions. But the routs of entry are inhalation and to some degree absorption through the skin. You end up with a whole different set of issues when you ingest a product that has been heated or burned. The Wicked good competition blend used primarily exotic hardwoods to make their lump. I was hoping someone would have seen a link somewhere out there that could shed some light on these other woods.

BTW yes the Rosewoods have an awesome aroma, (residual odor noted after removing my dust mask) when you are converting them to dust. I was just imagining what that would convert to taste wise.

You may want to poke around on U.S. environmental sites (or post something over on the SmokeRing). I have a great gov't publication on the engineering strengths of woods but nothing on burning / toxicity (EPA website maybe???).

One of the guys over on the Smokering does environmental work... maybe he has some knowledge on the subject. Good luck!