tinyfish

temperature control fan.

I love my cyberq, even though a KK needs it less than any other grill. I'm a gadget guy, and I think that's part of it. By design, you'll learn what settings on your kk give x temp, every time.

However, let's say you put a butt on at 11 pm at 225°, wanting it to be ready at noon. You wake up at 6 am, check your phone, the butt is still in the stall, and you're worried it's gonna take too long. You simply up the temp with your phone, and sleep another hour or so. I like it.

Robert

• Like 2

I love my cyberq, even though a KK needs it less than any other grill. I'm a gadget guy, and I think that's part of it. By design, you'll learn what settings on your kk give x temp, every time.

However, let's say you put a butt on at 11 pm at 225°, wanting it to be ready at noon. You wake up at 6 am, check your phone, the butt is still in the stall, and you're worried it's gonna take too long. You simply up the temp with your phone, and sleep another hour or so. I like it.

Robert

Ditto

tiny - what Rob says.  He's THE GUY for all things CyberQ.  I talked to him before I got my CyberQ and I'm glad it did.  

As for do I recommend the CyberQ, it certainly makes life easier on a long cook.  It's certainly NOT a requirement as the KK is so well behaved at any temp you choose, but it's a nice way to get some peace of mind.

I've had my DigiQ-II for a long time (8 years, maybe??) Love it! Needed it more on the old POSK, but still use it on ALL my longer cooks on the KK. Just piece of mind in knowing that you don't have to babysit the grill worrying about the temps creeping up or the fire going out. 

Since you have some experience cooking with kamado grills already, I’d hold off on ordering a fan until you see how your KK grill works for you. You may be so happy with how a KK grill behaves compared to others that you might decide that a fan isn’t necessary.

For me, I had looked into getting a fan system, and held off. I’m confident enough in my ability to set my KK grill where I want it that I don’t foresee getting a fan system for a long time, and I had ZERO experience with kamado grills prior to getting Smaug.

• Like 2

I don't have one, but I'm also a gadget guy and have almost pulled the trigger on many occasions.  I have logistical issues (if anyone has any ideas to resolve, please let me know).  I live on the top floor of a low rise condo in Singapore.  Our roof terrace is home to our KK and grills.  If I'm going to have the fan system, I want to be able to access it via wifi / the internet while away from home.  There are models out there that do this, but the roof is 12-18 inches of concrete.  My very powerful router sits in the living room, directly below my KK, and I cannot get a wifi signal - literally 10 feet away.  I have wireless range extenders throughout the condo because all of the walls are concrete as well (difference between USA and Singapore building - nothing in Singapore is built with wood / dry wall).  I have an electrical outlet on the roof, but the housing is one of these waterproof things and I can't find an extender that will plug in.  Even if I did, it would be exposed to the elements and it rains off an on here in the tropics.  I'm prepared to build a waterproof housing for the fan control unit - if I can find a way to get a signal.  The only idea I've had is to buy a mobile hotspot and put it in the waterproof housing with the fan control unit; however, the plans here are not cheap and on a per use basis, it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

All that said, once you get to know your KK, you'll know what settings will hold what temps for hours on end.  I started losing temp control about 18 months ago.  Dennis convinced me to replace my main gasket.  It was easy and I've been back to rock solid temps ever since.

Cookie

I don't have one, but I'm also a gadget guy and have almost pulled the trigger on many occasions.  I have logistical issues (if anyone has any ideas to resolve, please let me know).  I live on the top floor of a low rise condo in Singapore.  Our roof terrace is home to our KK and grills.  If I'm going to have the fan system, I want to be able to access it via wifi / the internet while away from home.  There are models out there that do this, but the roof is 12-18 inches of concrete.  My very powerful router sits in the living room, directly below my KK, and I cannot get a wifi signal - literally 10 feet away.  I have wireless range extenders throughout the condo because all of the walls are concrete as well (difference between USA and Singapore building - nothing in Singapore is built with wood / dry wall).  I have an electrical outlet on the roof, but the housing is one of these waterproof things and I can't find an extender that will plug in.  Even if I did, it would be exposed to the elements and it rains off an on here in the tropics.  I'm prepared to build a waterproof housing for the fan control unit - if I can find a way to get a signal.  The only idea I've had is to buy a mobile hotspot and put it in the waterproof housing with the fan control unit; however, the plans here are not cheap and on a per use basis, it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

All that said, once you get to know your KK, you'll know what settings will hold what temps for hours on end.  I started losing temp control about 18 months ago.  Dennis convinced me to replace my main gasket.  It was easy and I've been back to rock solid temps ever since.

Cookie

Cookie looks like you have a couple of simple and effective waterproof closures. A ziplock plastic bag quick simple or a more permanent solution a tupperware/plastic container.

I take it there's no way to run an Ethernet cable to the roof? If not, first verify a wireless extender will work, use a power strip, or an extension cord. If that doesn't work, maybe the type that uses electrical wiring for transmission. If any of these are feasible, a box will be fairly easy to build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, the powerline extenders that I'm using throughout the condo below will work, but when plugged into a power strip, the signal seems to be really sketch (no surge protector in the strip).  I can't get it plugged directly into the outlet due to the weatherproof housing.

There is no way to run an Ethernet cable unless I go over the wall and in through a window below.  My wife says 'no' to that one due to aesthetics.

One idea I thought of yesterday was taking my old iphone, buying a prepaid sim that has a data plan, and turning on the wifi hotspot feature.  Again, not ideal as it will cost me extra money on an ongoing basis.

Thanks, the powerline extenders that I'm using throughout the condo below will work, but when plugged into a power strip, the signal seems to be really sketch (no surge protector in the strip).  I can't get it plugged directly into the outlet due to the weatherproof housing.

There is no way to run an Ethernet cable unless I go over the wall and in through a window below.  My wife says 'no' to that one due to aesthetics.

One idea I thought of yesterday was taking my old iphone, buying a prepaid sim that has a data plan, and turning on the wifi hotspot feature.  Again, not ideal as it will cost me extra money on an ongoing basis.

Can you buy a strip with a built in surge protector to give you smooth power. What about using an extension cord to plug into the outlet.

post-2313-0-84499600-1428279925.jpg