tinyfish

temperature control fan.

Ok so here goes my 2c on this :) 

I have a bbq guru at the moment and for many of the reasons that people listed i have ended up with it in a box.  Since then i have been using a DIY solution called the Heter Meter.

One of the nice things about this is that it uses standard raspberry PI's so what could do is get a wireless adapter that can take an external antenna and run it so the antenna is hanging over the edge of the building and in a place which gets signal.  Currently i use a water proof cabling box called sockitbox  which is where the power brick is and also the Heter Meter.

For controlling the temps in the KK i am using the roto damper as primary method of changing the temp and the fan only kicks in when needed.

It is a good route if you are wanting to play with hardware and like tinkering :)

Let me know if you want any more information on any of that.

Can you buy a strip with a built in surge protector to give you smooth power. What about using an extension cord to plug into the outlet.

My powerline wifi adapters don't work well with powerstrips / surge protectors, I've tried.  Outdoor extension cords and availability in Singapore aren't quite the same...we are on 240v, things are a bit trickier (and the potential to really light yourself up much greater).

Ok so here goes my 2c on this :)

I have a bbq guru at the moment and for many of the reasons that people listed i have ended up with it in a box.  Since then i have been using a DIY solution called the Heter Meter.

One of the nice things about this is that it uses standard raspberry PI's so what could do is get a wireless adapter that can take an external antenna and run it so the antenna is hanging over the edge of the building and in a place which gets signal.  Currently i use a water proof cabling box called sockitbox  which is where the power brick is and also the Heter Meter.

For controlling the temps in the KK i am using the roto damper as primary method of changing the temp and the fan only kicks in when needed.

It is a good route if you are wanting to play with hardware and like tinkering :)

Let me know if you want any more information on any of that.

Thanks for trying to help.  I did some googling and probably more effort than I'm willing to expend.  But props for pulling all that together for your own use...

Cookie you should be able to find a 240v extension cord from your local hardware type of store that would be safe then you can plug into that. 

You would think, but some things that should be simple here are not...  Our DIY shops are the size of convenience stores in the USA...  They think power strips are the new extension cord.  I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could figure something out, but the end result is not likely to pass inspection for aesthetics by my wife. Cords, waterproof housings, etc. etc.