ckreef

Random Bistro Cooks

Flavor profile test #2. Got it where I want it this time. I guess it's time to get on with the actual cook this weekend for a seafood challenge on the Guru.

Also note, the grill basket fits inside Prometheus - oh yeah.

36cd4279c430811e9d2ce1feaf3e0136.jpg

Wasn't enough protein for dinner so I threw a chunk of Flank Steak on also.

4e76ca8e8c087f67c45ff75add6ecce9.jpg

Charles, I do pot roasts that way all the time. Just enough for dinner and a lunch or two during the week. They don't take nearly as long to cook as a brisket (6 - 8 hours @ 250F to an IT of 200F) and have wonderful beefy flavor. I usually inject them with Butchers and rub the outside just like a brisket. 

Cracker bites cook test.

The goal was to figure out the optimum configuration and temperature to cook Cracker bites so the cheese melts without the Cracker crust cooking further.

This has nothing to do with what was the actual toppings other than the cheese. In both tries the pizza stone was up in the dome on a custom riser.

First try. Heat soaked at 500* with cold pizza stone. Somewhat of a failure as they had to stay on to long to melt the cheese. This caused the pizza stone to heat up and burn some of the Cracker crust.

86d271a864fd1984eff42709e6c79eba.jpg

Second try. Heat soaked at 600* with cold pizza stone. This is the winning combination. Cheese melted fast enough so the Cracker crust did not cook any further beyond the original parbake.

066859618d8218793d0f34eeb2ae46b6.jpg

Later in the week I'll tie that into a flavor profile test before I make my final cook.

CC and tinyfish - you 2 need to ignore all this - LOL - and these tests won't be posted on the Guru.

• Like 1

Just teasing anyways. We got to take Bosco down.

Yea that's going to be a hard one. He's a good cook and he has a huge fanboi club.

But I'll post something every month regardless which scores some good points in the end even if I don't rate in any particular month.

A lot of this also has to do with your exact cook and how popular that type of cook is.

Either way it's fun and I'm eating some good food along the way.

Cracker bites cook test. The goal was to figure out the optimum configuration and temperature to cook Cracker bites so the cheese melts without the Cracker crust cooking further. This has nothing to do with what was the actual toppings other than the cheese. In both tries the pizza stone was up in the dome on a custom riser. First try. Heat soaked at 500* with cold pizza stone. Somewhat of a failure as they had to stay on to long to melt the cheese. This caused the pizza stone to heat up and burn some of the Cracker crust. 86d271a864fd1984eff42709e6c79eba.jpgSecond try. Heat soaked at 600* with cold pizza stone. This is the winning combination. Cheese melted fast enough so the Cracker crust did not cook any further beyond the original parbake. 066859618d8218793d0f34eeb2ae46b6.jpgLater in the week I'll tie that into a flavor profile test before I make my final cook. CC and tinyfish - you 2 need to ignore all this - LOL - and these tests won't be posted on the Guru.

These were def a very good snack...coarse there were enough for a meal..thanks baby..very good cook

What is this comp you guys are referencing?

On the kamado guru forum there is a monthly challange going on. It started in May with seafood and June is appetizer. The challenge series will last 18 months and a point system is maintained.

Tinyfish tied for second place in seafood and I tied for 3rd - a total of 21 entries.

Us KK'ers are holding our own.

If you're interested in participating we would love to have more KK's in the lineup.