Porkchop

Going on the grill this weekend...

Pizza! And bread.

No, no photos. The pizza seems to have evaporated as soon as it came off the grill. Go figger! Whole wheat crust, caramelized onions, chicken, baby spinach, chopped portabella mushrooms, fresh basil from the garden, tomatoes, ricotta, and a blend of grated cheeses.

Before that, I baked 3 loaves (in pans) of multi grain bread. Whole wheat, steel cut oats, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, toasted almonds, and dried cranberries. :) Very yummy!!

I think 'double indirect' is too much indirect. Maybe just a single pizza stone on the regular or upper grill, instead of a stone on the lower, and a cooking stone on the regular one. I couldn't get the temp I wanted, and I couldn't get good browning on the tops of the loaves. And the pizza crust wasn't as browned as I would have preferred.

Or maybe cooking at those temps used more lump than I thought it would, and it got low on fuel. I filled it -or thought I did. Lump was nearing the lower pizza stone. In the afternoon, I did the bread. Ok, but not a good browning on top. Around 350-400, I guess. I dialed the dampers down to keep the fire going, but not really hot, until pizza time. By evening, for the pizza, I had the lower door completely off, and the top damper wide open, and still couldn't get over 425. Hmmm. I made sure I fired it back up about an hour before the dough was going on the grill to make sure the ceramic was good and hot again.

Anyway, all was delicious, and I guess that is what counts.

Sanny,

I still have a #5 that came from the same place yours did :oops:. It took me a few tries to find the right setup to get good results with pizza or bread. I tried the heat deflector on the lower bracket and a pizza stone on the main grill, but that burned the crust BLACK before the cheese even melted.

I dont have an upper grill, but what I found success with is the heat deflector on the main grill, and a pizza stone above that with a little bit of space between them. I use some 1" aluminum spacers (intended purpose was as part of a Jeep lift) but you could do the same with some big nuts (as in "nuts and bolts", before DJ or Gerard get started on that one) or even pieces of broken pizza stone. With this setup, I get just enough residual heat in the stone to crisp and brown the crust without burning. Here is a link to a thread with pictures (the original "pink grill" thread):

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=353

There is a picture of some bread that came from that same setup under "sourdough" in the bread section, too.

Follow up on the low temp pizza post. I checked the firebox this morning, and it was lumpless! Nuthin but ash. So, it's likely there was very little fuel in that fire last night by the time pizza got on there. Shut down took the last of it.

Still, I'll run over to the home store this morning (locally owned, not big box), and look at some big nuts, as Firemonkey suggests. ;) Might even buy something to use as a spacer between the heat deflector and the pizza stone.

I tried the stone on the top grill, but dome won't close over it. :::shrug:::

Curly, it was really good! I fired the grill up over 600, over about an hour, and then shut it down. While it was cooling (a relative term), I put the pizza on to cook. 10 mins is all it took! I used Firemonkey's recommendation of spacers between two stones on the regular rack.

I had just taken it off the grill and sliced it when friend called and said he was coming for supper. I'd put it on the grill because I hadn't heard from him, and assumed he wasn't going to come over. Sigh. He's 40 mins away. I finished the piece I'd started, then set the whole thing aside. About 10 mins before he arrived, I put it back on grill (now down to 350 or so) to warm.

The piece I had earlier was great. After warming, it was still good, but the crust had passed it's perfect point. He said it was great, I thought the crust was dry. Oh well.

I made more crust to try later in the week (whole wheat and sesame seeds). Mmmm.

Hey, I was only gonna say, can I just call and tell you I am coming over for supper??? hehe :smt007 Those are some fine looking pizzas!

-=Jasen=-

You say the sweetest things, Jasen. :smt060

party at sannys! i want a meatball pie' date=' please! hold the sesame seeds![/quote']What time, PC? Hope not tonight. I don't have meatballs! And no crust dough made without sesame. Gimme some advanced notice, and you can man the grill. :smt029

The dude needs to learn to come when you tell him to come (please, no jokes Gerard and DJ).

whole wheat and sesame seeds...that sounds really good to me too

Curly, I had invited him, and he didn't answer over several hours. I assumed he wasn't coming over! Just started without him, and then he said 'here I come!' just as I was taking it off the grill. Just no tellin, is there. :smt061