the biffer

New KK23 owner

Hello to all KK members....just had the truck drop off my new cooker still in its crate and in my garage. Just staring at this giant beast trying to figure out where to start first. There is a great instructional video of exactly how its done step by step. Also I am completely inexperienced in the world of Kamado cooking as this is my very first one. If anybody feels like sharing some good information and tips this would be much appreciated and I thank you for it.

• Like 1

New owner myself so just a little advice.

Read and follow the initial burn in instructions carefully. If tiles get loose when it gets heat soaked at 500* don't freak out. Just follow the above mentioned instructions and everything will work out in the end.

Fill the fire basket full of lump before each cook. Having a full fire basket ensures you never have temp issues because of running out of lump. (this is one of the biggest rookie mistakes with Kamados of any brand)

Take lots of pictures - we love pictures.

buffer - first off, WELCOME to the KK family!  Great to have you join us!  You are about to get introduced to The Addiction!  Cooking on a KK is simply the easiest and tastiest form of cooking.  Tale the time to read the manual, follow the instructions on the burn in or seasoning, and then the fun begins!  

There isn't a thing you can't cook on your new KK.  Make certain you take a bunch of pics and post them here.  I'm really looking forward to seeing your 23" Ultimate.  Have you thought of a name?  I call my 32" Big Bad "TheBeast" and my 19' Hi-Cap Beauty!

Have you though of a first cook yet?

Ask us any questions you need to make you comfortable with your KK.  We want you to succeed beyond your wildest dreams!

There is lots of info on this site. Ask questions and use the search feature. Record all your cooks...what temp you used, which grill you used, how it turned out, and changes you would make if did cook again. This is a tremendous help for newbies. I still refer to my notes or journal. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome to the Obsession! Like others have said, PICTURES, lots and lots of pictures! Uncrating, setup, and especially that virgin cook! 

One thing others didn't mention, you don't have to do the burn-in right away. If you're only doing lower temperature cooks (<350F) to start with, you don't need to do the burn in. It's only for when you want to do seriously high temperature cooks (>450F), like searing steaks or making pizzas. And don't waste that burn in either, it's perfectly safe to cook during the burn in process, as the volatiles you are trying purge are all on the outside of the grill under the tiles. 

Lastly, go out right now and buy a new belt at least 2" bigger than the one you have now. Trust me, you'll be needing it sooner than you think; because once you start cooking on this amazing grill, you won't want to stop. Oh yeah, if you aren't feeding hoards of people, get a vacuum sealer (e.g., FoodSaver) if you don't have one already, for all the leftovers!! 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.....this is truly exciting! Believe it or not this KK 23 is all for ME....no wife or family to feed so I can do what I want and cook what I want a MUCH as I want. Having said that I guess I am on my own to uncrate and move this behemoth so here I am sipping a coffee and staring at it trying to plan it out. Good thing I bought a dolly lift with pneumatic tires so I am hopeful she will get a smooth ride around the side of the house into her final position on the patio. Suppose if I need some help I will recruit it. Yes, I will snap lots of pix for our viewing pleasure step by step. Also appreciate the members for their great advice and tips....keep them coming...please.

PS: In my old-ER age I have been collecting different BBQ smoking machines as a sort of amusement...I even had a trailer mounted good ole' barrel rotisserie smoker (almost 1000 lbs) that I feed big oak logs into and talk about WORK....but much fun and quite a challenge (pix to come). AND for the lazy days a pellet machine so I can marvel at technology!

• Like 1

buffer - I currently own a KK BB 32" known as TheBeast and a 19" Hi-Cap affectionately known as Beauty!  My brother stores a Weber Performer I gave him here on my patio.  That translates as "Get your feckless butt over here and get this thing off my patio!"  He lives less than 150 yards from me!  LOL!!

At various times I've owned a couple of BGEs, a couple of Primo XLs, an Akorn (don't even ask), I still have a Lodge Hibachi (Why I don't know, Inverse it), and now both of my beloved KKs.  

I tell people that cooking on kamados in general and KKs specifically is The Addiction!  And it is.  I'm a sucker for gadgets and there are almost as many gadgets for kamado cooking as there are fishing gadgets!  Just ask @tinyfish.  He suffers greatly from both Addictions!   :happy3:  :happy7:  :happy8:  :laughing3:

Biffer- welcome to "family". Congrats on the new KK. Cooking on a Kamado and especially a Komodo Kamado will be a breeze for you. I always look forward to firing up KoKo and marvel.

I too have other cookers, a BGE XL, a Rec Tec Pellet Grill (when I am lazy), and of course a Gasser.

Enjoy the journey.

Biffer, I'm curious about the dolly you spoke of. What's the weight capacity of that thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't really say although it's blue! It is the same type or capacity you would see the guys use for loading their trucks off a tailgate. Wheels are large and they are pneumatic so they should handle some serious weight. In any event if I can get the KK on it and lean it enough it should roll just fine. Because it has to roll over the lawn and lots of rough grass the wheels on the KK would get stuck instantly so I have to still think about this. In the meantime the beauty is still crated and wrapped up.....

As other have said you can lay two or three pieces of plywood down on the lawn and roll your KK and leap frog the plywood in front of the KK.

I may use this method when my KK arrives to my collection if I can drive straight in the backyard due to soft ground.

Komodo Kamado 23" on route

XL BGE

Kamado Joe Jr 13"

Wood fired pizza oven

Gave away a large kamado 18" to make room for the KK

post-906-143005488172_thumb.jpg

Similar to this? If so, with all respect, that ain't happening. I've moved mine three times, including initial delivery, and I have to recommend the plywood/leapfrog method. It's a bit tedious, but it works beautifully. Remember, your kk weighs close to 600lbs, and is bigger than your realize, this type of hand truck is way overmatched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk